Are Emacs worthless?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by G51989, Mar 1, 2012.

1. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Just a quick Question, I paid money for my G5, and I paid FAR less than whats it's worth.

But I see People selling eMacs for almost nothing, And everyone seems to hate them.

I used them a ton in high school, never saw an issue with them? Whats so bad about them?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They still have some use. Being one of the faster G4's Apple made, they can be used for a lot. There really isn't much to hate about them besides the amount of fan noise and their weight. The only thing to look out for is one with bad capacitors. Most of the 1.25Ghz and 1.42Ghz ones are not affected by this problem.

3. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

I have a eMac 1.25GHz, USB 2.0 model from 2005. Was my son's first Mac, he has since bought a 13" MacBook Pro. I use it for burning music CDs, iMovie (working with old converted 8mm video tape recordings), using Audacity, playing music, testing website designs on various browsers and just cruising the 'net with a more recent OS.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I've been after a good collectors example for a while...I wouldn't put it to serious work, but would like to own one.

5. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

Why?
    As long as you have a backup HD or computer? Serious work, like what? Most of todays work is for the internet, not files for a printing press. I still send files created on my old Macs to the printer. People, a computer is a tool period, a means to a end. It doesn't have to be the fastest, just has to produce the result you want. I could create a file using a version of Photoshop from the early '90s and the press RIP wouldn't know the difference. Too many people are hung up on specs, specs mean nothing. It is the end result that counts.

6. 92WardSenatorFE macrumors regular

92WardSenatorFE

I think one of the reasons why eMac's are selling for far less than many other Macs is due to the market is flooded with them. It seems like all of the public schools here started sending them to surplus auctions about a year ago. The fact that their specs' aren't as high as modern computers hurts their resell as well. Either way, they are still very capable computers.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

No, I meant as part of a collection of older Macs...I have three top spec. that do the real work...Not saying I'd never use it, just not throw anything heavy at it. I like the collections that some here have...It's nice to see old emacs et. al. in good condition.

8. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

I think they go cheap because they're heavy, big, loud & have a CRT screen.

I have one, he's slow but he does the job. The speakers are better than anything else I've ever use before, I use mine as a media centre, watching DVD's & my iTunes library (including apps).

I'm on the lookout for a G5 or an MDD in April but my little (or big) eMac is trundling along nicely.

It's a 1ghz with 512mb RAM, a 40gb Hard drive & Leopard... It cost me £50.

And even though they're big, loud & heavy.... They look like a space shuttle... Now if that isn't cool I don't know what is :D

Awesome machines.