iPad Are engraved iPad Airs impossible to return?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by KhunJay, Nov 29, 2013.

1. KhunJay macrumors regular

KhunJay

Planning to get one with an engraving....just wondering... if the screen turns out bad and I need to return it, will they not accept it because I got it engraved upon?

2. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

If it's faulty, then surely you can return it. I think it's only an issue if you return it for a refund.

However, if you have an issue repeatedly, I'm sure even a refund is possible.

3. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

I would check the official policy on this. What you consider faulty may not be the same as what Apple considers faulty and I wonder if their return policy may be a little more stringent when the returned item is engraved. Just a thought as I really don't know.

4. doboy macrumors 68000

Check the Apple return policy, but if I remember correctly they changed their policy few years ago to accept engraved returns.

5. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

they also used to not accept returns on bto macs but that seems to have changed as well. op, i'd double check the policy before buying, but i don't think you should have a problem returning it if the screen isn't to your liking.

6. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

Not sure exactly what this means but it is the only thing I could find on the Apple site under exchanges:

"Personalized items and custom-configured Macs may not be eligible for exchange at an Apple Retail Store".

7. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

And I'd assume that's because they can't engrave your replacement in store, and probably won't carry the same BTO config to replace with.

8. KhunJay thread starter macrumors regular

KhunJay

9. Tobster3 macrumors 6502

7.2*Exceptions to the right to withdraw from the contract. (i) Products. You may not return a Product and claim a refund if the Product concerned is: a) Software which we supplied to you sealed and unused and you have broken the seal or which you have successfully downloaded from the AppleStore website; or b) a personalized product such as iPod or iPad with an engraving made in accordance with your specifications

From Apple UK Return Policy

10. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I recommend getting no engraving. If you want to sell it later that lowers what you can possibly get it for in the future.

11. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

yes, you would be able to return it

source: I used to work on the inventory team at an Apple store

12. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

Yes you can return it that's not a problem unless you want another engraved one which you would then need to call the apple online store. But if you just want another one not engraved go ahead bring it back.

13. GoingDark macrumors 6502

Honest question...why would you want to engrave it in the first place?

Just curious as to some of the reasons people do this, since I can easily understand the negatives (makes returns more difficult and resale nearly impossible), but I can't really see any benefits.

14. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

I lost some resale value on an engraved iPad. Never doing that (engraving) again. When I sold it they had to deduct for the cost of lasering off the engraving. But I still got it sold, just not as much $$ as I would have otherwise.

15. Aggie88 macrumors newbie

They are returnable. I ordered a "Sprint" version of the iPad Air and had it engraved. I couldn't activate it on Sprint (everything else worked) and had to return it for a refund. Everything worked flawlessly. I was also told by the local Apple store that I could have exchanged it with them but I didn't try that. I got a new iPad from Sprint to resolve the activation problem. It cost me some time but no money! :)

16. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

I tried to return an iPad once that had my name and address engraved upon it and it was refused as it wasn't engraved on the back.

I tried Ebay but it just won't sell.

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You mean you engraved it on the front? How did you do that? And of course it can't be returned, since you must have gotten it down by someone other than Apple.

18. KhunJay thread starter macrumors regular

KhunJay

I didnt have some weird or corny **** engraved on it...it's the latin motto of my school which sounds and looks cool in print...it also means something to me.

Plus it makes mine look a little different, in case I need to ID it in some way.

19. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Not sure I understand.

20. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

You mean they negotiated the price down tactfully. ;)

21. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

22. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

I bought a retina mini for my son for Xmas and it has his name plus a little something that will make him smile when he sees it. As I'm sure my son will run this thing into the ground, I'm not worried about resale value.

I'd personally like to get a huge "Don't Panic" laser etched on mine. :D

23. takeshi74 macrumors 601

People get them engraved for the same reasons that they get anything engraved. If you don't see the point then don't get it engraved. Preferences and priorities vary from person to person.

24. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

I suppose you could put it that way. But the important thing is the I did get it sold. People shouldn't feel they are stuck with it because they got it engraved.