Are Facetime calls really free?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kdesign7, Oct 14, 2010.

1. kdesign7 macrumors 6502a

Ok so I've been having this discussion with a friend of mine who recently got an iPhone 4. We're both on the same carrier, but she was told that if she makes a Facetime call with another iPhone 4 (regardless of location), it's free?!

I find that fishy... because. For example. I am in New Brunswick Canada, and she is in Nova Scotia Canada, which is only a few hours away. Normally, to call her, Im charged long distance rates.

Basically, she is under the impression because we are using 'WIFI" to establish the Facetime connection, that we're not using our minutes, nor are we being charged any CARRIER Long distance.

Could someone just verify this for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It only works on wifi, right? So why wouldn't that be free?

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

She is correct, Facetime only works over WiFi, thus you are not paying with minutes etc. You will not be charged anything extra by your ISP either, but obviously you have the standard monthly charges from them.

4. kdesign7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ya, I know it only works over WiFi, (or if your JB'd, you can over 3G, but Im assuming that would just go against your bandwidth per month).

Ok so this is a little more exciting now.

So basically what Im getting is this.

You dial the number to the iPhone 4 User. The phones communicate between each other the commands to initiate Facetime (given both are on Wifi), and once this happens... the 'voice call' is dropped in the same moment the "video call" is picked up and than totally dependent on the WiFi connection... meaning no minutes are used up on your account, or LD charges...

:)

I appreciate the speedy reply guys!!

This is why I love this forum board!

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

You don't even have to do that, if you navigate to the contact within the 'Phone' app, you can initiate a Facetime call without even having to dial a number. My girlfriend used my iPhone 4 to Facetime her Dad in Thailand, and it didn't cost anything (apart from the cost of broadband).

6. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

After you have done your first FaceTime connection to ANY person. don't dial anything. Just hit the FaceTime button in your contact for the person you want to FaceTime with (again, assuming you are both on wifi) and you are good to go. No minutes charged, and, interestingly enough, no data charged either. :)

7. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I've got a friend/coworker in the UK and I'm in the US. We often use facetime and it never uses any minutes or anything.
    However, we initiate the call by going into contacts and then clicking on the "Facetime" button. If you call first, it'll use minutes. But just clicking on Facetime won't.

Rock on.

8. Mr Mot macrumors member

Yeah, another here that factimed friends/family back in the UK when I was in the states a few months ago. Cost me nothing..

Using FT and Skype meant I saved a small fortune on roaming..a month in the states cost me £10 or so in roaming charges for the odd received conventional call..

FT is probably less laggy that a conventional call overseas too :)

9. AoFFiE macrumors newbie

it's free since it works under airplane mode.

10. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

uhm, no?

it uses your wifi connection, which is turned off in airplane mode.

Also, doesn't facetime initiate by sending an invisible single Textmessage?

11. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

No. Once you've made your first FaceTime connection, it can be initiated directly.

12. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

You can turn wifi back on after you turn on air plane mode.;)

13. qckslvrsiete macrumors regular

If you initiate the FaceTime in-call, you'll be charged for the minutes you used up to the point that you switched the call to FaceTime. In order to avoid this all together, simply go to the contact details of the person you're trying to FaceTime with in your phone book and tap the FaceTime button instead of call.

14. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Uhhhh yea buddy, it's free...unless you want to get really technical and say it costs whatever you pay for internet since it uses your internet.

15. james92se macrumors 6502a

No free long distance in Canada on cell phones?

I figured that was pretty much an industry standard these days anywhere in the civilized world :confused:

16. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

??? Why would it use data? It only works on WiFi (out of the box)...

17. 3GEE macrumors regular

3GEE

Sorry folks, haven't got my iPhone 4 yet. Can I facetime to Skype on my Mac back home?

18. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

no.

19. Inofaith macrumors newbie

No, you can Facetime to Facetime (mac+mac, iphone+iphone, mac+iphone) or Skype to Skype (iphone+iphone?, iphone+computer, computer+computer)

My brother called me on skype with his iPhone 4s but it was very laggy compared to Facetime, I recommend it for regular video calling with friends (far away).
    He thought Facetime charges to initiate a call... but I think what he heard was regarding calling mobile and then switching to video.

20. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Tango is supposedly working on a Mac version of their software. That would enable you to chat iPhone-Mac.

Another option would be Yahoo messenger. That would require a sign in, but worth it if you must have video chat from iPhone to Mac.