Resolved Are fresh installs on SSD bad?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by flyer22, Sep 30, 2015.

1. flyer22 macrumors newbie

flyer22

Hi there

Apologies in advance if the answer is obvious. I'm currently running Mavericks on my mid 2010 MBP with a crucial SSD but thinking about moving up to El Capitan in the next few weeks.

I know SSD memory is more fragile than HDD. If I did a fresh install with El Capitan, is the data overwrite going to affect my SSD's performance adversely?

Many thanks for any advice you can offer.

Flyer

2. T'hain Esh Kelch, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015

T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

SSD's are not more fragile than HDD. On the contrary actually, as there are no moving parts.

Modern SSD's last for tens of years at normal usage, so absolutely do a format and reinstall of the system. Your SSD will likely outlast the lifetime of your computer.

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Nope, you won't have a problem -- SSDs are as reliable as a wood-burning stove.

When SSD technology was in its infancy, there were a lot of problems/hiccups and things you should/shouldn't do to ensure its lifespan continues, but now they're solid and reliable (well, Crucial and Samsung are, at least). At the moment you can write something stupid like 5 petabytes of data to them before they fail, which is practically writing 1TB worth of data to the drive every day for something like 20 years (I'm sure somebody will accurately correct my maths).

So yeah, don't worry.

4. flyer22 thread starter macrumors newbie

flyer22

T'hain Esh Kelch and keysofanxiety - thank you both very much for your responses and putting my mind at rest. Right then El Capitan here we come!