Carrier Are full price iPhones auto unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jeepik, Oct 27, 2017.

1. jeepik macrumors 6502

Just curious are iPhones purchased either from apple or at&t auto unlocked?

2. rikmac macrumors member

I called Apple and they told me that the new release of an iPhone is locked to the carrier for 3-6 months after new release. After that period then they start selling unlocked phones. I was trying to get unlocked phone for my brother-in-law in Italy but now I am waiting until they are advertising unlocked phones...

3. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

All full priced iPhones are unlocked.

ATT and TMO are GSM only.

Verizon and Sprint full price are true sim free as in works on both CDMA + GSM.

4. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

You can ask to buy it “contract-free” that’s what a lot of people here inthe states bought theirs as unlocked when only neighboring Canada offered a truly unlocked version of the iphones back then. It should be the same now.

If you walk into an Apple store, ask the genius you want to buy a contract-free iPhone (not sim-free), why should they lock it to that carrier (the one the SIM tray comes with) if you’re paying it full price?

5. michael31986 macrumors 68040

Any IPhone upgrade or full priced phone buy is unlocked. If you did carrier plans than locked.

6. A_Flying_Panda macrumors member

I don’t know about those you bought from att, so just speaking for Apple situation.
    The thing is, all iPhone comes out unlocked, if you use your contract or carrier stuff to buy the iPhone, Apple just wont send any information to carrier therefore the carrier won’t have anything to lock you in. If you use your carrier info when buying from Apple, then Apple will tell the carrier “hey, this guy bought this iPhone with serial and IMEI number xxx on your network, so go ahead and lock it”.

So in short, if you just walk into an Apple store and buy it outright, it’s unlocked.

7. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Not really. If you buy full priced,it's unlocked. Apple itself mentions it "Unlocked phone with AT&T sim".

8. michael31986 macrumors 68040

Apple website says Apple upgrade program iPhones are unlocked as well.

Are we forgetting that too?

9. jeepik thread starter macrumors 6502

Just to confirm this. I bought an x for my wife at apple store for full price and popped our international sim in it and it worked just fine