Are GIMP and VLC Player safe apps?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bubwell, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Bubwell macrumors newbie

They never caused issues in Windows, but I'd like to know if they are considered safe by mac community?
    https://www.gimp.org/
    www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

2. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

3. 960design macrumors 68020

Yep... safe as long as you get the download from official web sites.
    PS... Oops... exactly what Floris said.

4. Bubwell thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your help!

No worries, the more help the better. :)

5. freiheit macrumors 6502a

It took me years to switch over to VLC and now I can't stand to use anything else. My only gripe is it's difficult (not really supported) to have multiple VLC instances running at the same time. But I only rarely have the need to do that anyway.

Have never used GIMP but I know it's one of the oldest and most respected open source apps in the world.

6. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

We used to be able to just get VLC to open with the media loading right away. Now it has a pre-screen like a real player, with internet, streaming, a history, etc. And then it (auto) loads the media.

When I got my mac pro in 2006 i stress tested it by loading a directory of dvd files and > open with vlc > it started playing it all at once. Was amazing in expose.

Kinda miss that vlc player, but yeah - it is still my goto player on the mac, dont;' use anything else really

7. KALLT macrumors 601

If you just want a simple player like QuickTime, mpv is a decent alternative. Just avoid MPlayerX, it is distributed with adware.