iPod touch Are guitar tuner apps iPhone only?

mac2x

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
My new 32 GB iPod touch arrived yesterday...so excited! :cool: As a guitar player, I'm interested in getting a guitar tuner app. However, does the itouch even have a mic other than the one on the provided earbuds? I'm thinking you need an iPhone....but not certain.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
No, you can install any app that requires a mic on an iPod touch. But you'll need to use an external microphone because there is not one built in.

mac2x

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
No, you can install any app that requires a mic on an iPod touch. But you'll need to use an external microphone because there is not one built in.
Thanks! I guess the included earbuds won't go to waste then. :D

mac2x

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
Hey, that's cool! Not bulky either. Could have more uses for me than just tuning guitars. :)

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Hey, that's cool! Not bulky either. Could have more uses for me than just tuning guitars. :)
Which is good considering I wouldn't know how to go about tuning a guitar if my life depended on it! Lol!!

I need to record some sounds on flashcards for my kids, which is why I was hunting for one. I really need to order it.

Hope the guitar thing works well for you. I'm very curious about the whole process (hence snooping into a thread I had nothing to contribute to! Lol!!)

mac2x

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
Which is good considering I wouldn't know how to go about tuning a guitar if my life depended on it! Lol!!

I need to record some sounds on flashcards for my kids, which is why I was hunting for one. I really need to order it.

Hope the guitar thing works well for you. I'm very curious about the whole process (hence snooping into a thread I had nothing to contribute to! Lol!!)
Hehe, thanks. I'll get around to ordering it one of these days. ;) Chemistry final next week! :eek:

As to tuning a guitar, it's a snap once you learn. ;) I typically tune by tuning (LOL) the high E to an external source (piano when I'm at home) and going backwards tuning the open intervals by ear. I think it sounds better that way, but it's probably snake oil. :rolleyes: :D