Are Hard Drive Camcorders Reliable?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by nemacman, Mar 13, 2009.

1. nemacman macrumors newbie

I am in the market for a new camcorder, with a budget in the $600-$800 range. Right now I am leaning twords an HD camcorder with a hard drive. Is this the best media option, or are flash, MiniDVD, or MiniDV better?

2. Chris7 macrumors 6502

I believe tape is the most reliable, then solid state (flash), then hard drive as a distant third. I do not know about DVD in cameras, but have read in Macworld magazine that that the DVD's we make with our computers may start developing errors within five years or so (you will want to seek a second opinion on this).

Edit: PS: The HDV Sony has superior image stabilization than the Canon, but records only interlaced, if I remember correctly.

I have an HF100 (flash). The flash media works fine, but I am not happy with the picture. With consumer camcorders you will currently get a better picture with the tape (HDV) camcorders than with the flash/solid state camcorders. You will want to give the HV30 a good look before buying anything else. I really like the consumer camcorder reviews on www.camcorderinfo.com