Are Hard Drives Other Than Hitachi Safe to Install on Macs?

rekhyt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
Part of the old MR guard.
Usually MacBooks come with Hitachi drives, and I'm wondering if it's possible to install a hard drive onto a MacBook Pro (2.4ghz Unibody) that isn't a Hitachi. (Western Digital, ...)

Would there be driver problems (Heating up, ...) and also the hard drive free-falling locking feature be disabled?

Thanks in advance,
Rekhyt

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Usually MacBooks come with Hitachi drives, and I'm wondering if it's possible to install a hard drive onto a MacBook Pro (2.4ghz Unibody) that isn't a Hitachi. (Western Digital, ...)

Would there be driver problems (Heating up, ...) and also the hard drive free-falling locking feature be disabled?

Thanks in advance,
Rekhyt
You can put just about anything you want in your Macbook. Heck the unibody Macbook Pros are designed so you can easily replace your hard drive -- one of the easiest notebook drive replacement solutions available on the market. If you search the Macbook Pro forum you'll see tons of posts where people are looking for either maximum 7200 drive performance, or the largest/cheapest storage solution for portable Macbook workstations. The posts in the Macbook Pro forum go into detail about performance vs. battery life, heat vs. vibration, etc. So I'd study the HDD discussions there and make your choice.

You shouldn't have any problems with myriad manufacturers.

newdeal

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2009

I am pretty sure that the new macbook pros come with toshiba drives...I saw a teardown on ifixit and it had a toshiba drive inside. Either way though you can use any drive you want

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.