Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amazingdm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
Since they're all in ones with laptop parts, I'm curious.. are they fast? Faster than a comparable PC with the same specs?

Stable? lots of freezeups?

If I get it will it be good for the next 4 or so years for most programs?

What programs do they come with? I'm considering a lowend iMac

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Not all parts in iMacs are laptop parts. For example, CPU and hard drive are desktop parts while RAM and GPU are laptop parts.

Faster in what? People say OS X is snappier than Windows and it is in some things. In stuff like video encoding, it is as fast as PC with similar specs. Games aren't that good under OS X because they are ported but if you game under Windows, you will get similar performance as with a PC with similar hardware.

I haven't had freezes for months. Usually they are caused by 3rd party applications (*cough* Flash *cough*).

All Macs come with Snow Leopard and iLife '09

Included software:
Mac OS X Snow Leopard

Includes iTunes, Time Machine, Quick Look, Spaces, Spotlight, Dashboard, Mail, iChat, Safari, Address Book, QuickTime, iCal, DVD Player, Photo Booth, Front Row, Xcode Developer Tools, and more. Learn more about Mac OS X Snow Leopard

iLife
Includes iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, and iWeb. Learn more about iLife

Devie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Well my iMac G5 is over 5 years old (in sig). I still use it every day, it struggles a bit with flash web movies and thats about it, it runs photoshop well, runs WoW still (not very well on WotLK).

So future proof, yes! Stable, well yes but thats more to do with OS. The only time I recall it freezing was when the logic board failed a few months after I bought it (replaced under warranty ofcourse).

She is old now and it due for an upgrade, though I will be using it as a torrent machine from now on.

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
If you buy one of the lynnfield iMacs, you will no doubt be futurproofing yourself. The lynnfields are just monsters.

UltimaLink

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
Somewhere in PA.
From what I've seen, iMacs age well, yesterday when I went to get my dog washed I saw that they had a mac there, it was a 24inch(Or 20, couldn't tell) and it looked like it performed well. He was just browsing the web with it but still. I'd assume if you get an i5 or i7 you'll get a machine that will last you over 3 years. I've seen people still use Windows XP, heck, with Macs I've seen someone on youtube regularly use a G4 Blue iMac(Or a G3, not too up on the iMac line)

Get a Quad Core if you want to have a computer for 5+ years, i7 will probably add a year or two on also. Macs aren't good for games so I wouldn't recommend making sure you have THE latest processor an THE maximum amount of Ram that you could possibly have. Though, it's good to have at least the currently acceptable amount of ram, for example, now it's 4 gigs, you'll want to upgrade to 8 in a year or two.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
When you find the "futureproof" computer, let me know.

Let EVERYone know.

They're going to be selling a lot of them....

zaffle

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2009
When you find the "futureproof" computer, let me know.

Let EVERYone know.

They're going to be selling a lot of them....
"futureproof" in computing is gemerally assumed to mean competative in performance to the next generation. you probably know that, so i assume you were just being humourously pedantic.

in my opinion the high end 27" i5's and i7's are to an extent futureproof, whereas the lower end 27" and 21.5" C2D models aren't. with a refresh an unspecified distance round the corner, it's up to you to make the decision to bite the bullet on a high end model for "futureproofing" if you need it now, or to wait until the next update on the lower end models.

i'd personally recommend waiting if you can (i couldn't, but i don't (and likely won't) regret that decision).

NeverHadWindows

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
Sarasota,Fl
My iMac is 8 years old, the future is finally here.

I have an old iMac "half vollyball" over 8 years old. Done garageband, photoshop, extensive video editing etc etc. It has never crashed!!!
I attached a camera once that had the wrong time and iPhoto did not want to deal with it. Other than that, problem free. But now alas HD video is here and my old reliable can't handle it. Now my dilemma is a common one. Really puzzled as to what to do. I want to buy a new iMac BUT all the advice says to wait for "the refresh". Nobody has a clue as to just what will be updated or when that will happen. Pure speculation. So here I wait. I'd love the 27" but only have physical space for the 21.5". I have no "futureproof" concerns, I just don't want to buy one a day before the "refresh" is announced.

bigmacman

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
Fast? Yes. Get the quad core if speed is very important to you.
Stable? Yes. No blue screen. Forced quit app when crashed (very rarely).
Future-proof? Nothing is, but a quad core 27" with 8GB RAM should give you a productive 5-year lifespan :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.