Are imessages supposed to be sent as text if theres no internet?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bathplug, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

I turn 3g data off when outside. Since ios6 when people with iphones message me I don't receive them until I get back home on wifi. Shouldn't the imessages people send me change to a standard text message if I don't have internet access? These are message sent from and to numbers not email addresses.

Thanks

2. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

It depends on whether they use the send as text message feature. But other than that do you get other texts?

3. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Text messages are sent over your cell phone's data line. If you're walking around outside with no wifi or 3G, then you're not getting any messages period.

4. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

No. If a user you send/receive texts is verified as an iPhone user, all text messages in the future go through iMessage.

The iPhone does not 'figure out' whether the user in question can receive iMessages or text messages at any point in time, to send using a different method. This would be very tricky to figure out indeed.

5. huskerchad macrumors regular

Sure it does, and it's really not that hard since iMessage knows when something has been delivered. You can configure your iMessages to send as text messages if they can't go through iMessage. I don't know the timeout it uses, but it's not long. I get and send text messages from people with iPhones (who would normally be sending and receiving iMessages) on a regular basis. If I'm without a cell signal for a while it's bound to happen--phone off, battery dead, in an underground garage, whatever.

It does require the appropriate setting to be configured on the sending device.

6. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

I have iMessages set to not try sending as SMS when it fails. I cancelled my txt plan because most people I txt use iPhones on iOS5 or later.

7. Bathplug thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've received texts at home on wifi ok not tried off wifi yet.

I have mobile data & enable 3g options off at the moment. Should I leave mobile data on? I'm currently on pay as you go and don't want to get charged for 3g so I turned it off.

Thanks

8. Crotalus_Joe macrumors regular

iMessage needs either WiFi or mobile data to work, just like anything else. You cant access the net with Safari if you arent on WiFi or mobile data can you?

9. Nothlit macrumors regular

This is incorrect. Text messages (SMS) are sent over the control channel, which is separate from the phone's data connection. You can send and receive SMS without a data connection.

iMessage, on the other hand, does require a data connection.

This is not entirely true. The first time you go to send a message to someone, it queries Apple's servers to find out if that other person's phone number has been activated for iMessage. If so, then it defaults to sending iMessages to that recipient from then on, otherwise it defaults to sending SMS. If you send an iMessage, the phone will also detect whether the message was successfully sent and/or delivered. If it fails, the phone can give you the option to re-send via SMS instead.

So there is some fallback capability here, but it typically requires the sender of the message to notice that it failed and manually re-send it as SMS.

10. inspirations365 macrumors regular

This. All this is correct. LISTEN TO THIS PERSON.

11. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Yes. Go into "Settings>Messages" & make sure that "Send as SMS" is turned on, otherwise iMessages off of a wifi connection won't go through as SMS.

Does that answer your OP?

12. Bathplug thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just tested turning wifi off and mobile data on but kept enable 3g off and imessages now come through. So I think when I'm out I should receive messages.

13. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

If you don't plan to keep a data connection active all of the time, I'd turn off iMessage.

It's designed for people who always have a data connection available (Wi-Fi or cellular).

14. Kayjayhi macrumors newbie

I have a question...my iPhone is turned off right now and I don't have wifi at my school so when i go home to my wifi should I receive the messages sent to me through iMessage when I get home???