Are Intel iMacs louder than G5 iMacs?

ceruleanventure

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
This is a odd question, but are Intel macs louder than previous macs? I just recieved an Intel iMac as a replacement for my dead iMac G5 and both myself and my family has noticed a loud sound (Sounds like a needle playing on an old record player) which is coming from the iMac. My first iMac was very quiet, however when I start using the new iMac this odd sound keeps happening. Is this normal? I am just worried that this scratching sound might by evidence of something breaking down. Also the sound is a lot louder when under Windows XP. Thanks for the help! :eek:

PS: the sound is loud enough to be picked up on the internal microphone, however I don't know how to link the file to Macrumors. :confused:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
That's not normal. My Intel is MUCH quieter than my old G5 (it's almost silent, whereas I got the nickname "Air Force One" when playing games online on my G5 due to the mic picking up the fan noise).

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Agreed. The Intel iMac should be silent - well, virtually so. I cannot hear mine from more than a few inches away.