Are Intel's mobile integrated graphics better than desktop?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Bibiboobi, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Bibiboobi macrumors newbie

I'm looking into getting a computer for light gaming.

Looking at the desktop Skylake processors the integrated graphics, even on the top end i7, have HD 530. With the mobile integrated graphics HD 530 seems to be pushed aside for the Iris Pro 580. Some of the other mobile processors also have Iris graphics but their desktop counterparts do not.

Is Iris Pro 580 better than HD 530? If so does this mean the mobile integrated graphics are better than on desktops?

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

yes and this has pretty much always been the case (since Iris GPU's were introduced). Occasionally Intel will release a desktop processor with Iris or Iris Pro graphics, but for the most part they get a lower "non-Iris" GPU. Justification: A desktop can use discrete graphics cards, so if you need more GPU power you can easily add one. A laptop you can not do this (or without serious battery life penalty).

3. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

If you want a low-cost notebook that can game more than "lightly," consider this one for $810.

4. Bibiboobi thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks for your replies.

Just a couple more questions if I may...

Will there be much difference in the graphical capabilites between say an i5 and a Pentium both with 530?
    Does the graphics capability become hindered dependant on the load of the processor?

5. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Other than a few MHz difference (i.e. one might be clocked at 1ghz and the other 1.1ghz which is negligible), if they are the same GPU they will behave the same....