Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pr0230

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
I currently have an IPAD 4 and ios7 - seems stable
I also have an IPOD touch 5 & ios7 - seems stable

I would like to purchase an Iphone 5s... But Im not sure that the A7 processor and IOs7 are stable.... Im reading too many , IOS crashes, safari problems....

So is the 64 bit platform stable ???

Part two - any idea on when 7.1 gets released?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Im reading too many , IOS crashes, safari problems....

That's because of the meagre system RAM - 1 GB is simply insufficient with a 64-bit OS, particularly with extremely memory-hungry widgets like UIWebView (also used by Safari).

~Ks383~

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011

I would like to purchase an Iphone 5s... But Im not sure that the A7 processor and IOs7 are stable.... Im reading too many , IOS crashes, safari problems....

I have a 5s and do not have any of those issues.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I have a 5s and do not have any of those issues.

Reading a given Web page uses much less memory than on any Retina iPads. This is why it's mostly Retina iPads that are affected by Safari crashing (but, at least, background tab killing) issues.

~Ks383~

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
Are iOS 7 & the A7 processor stable?

Reading a given Web page uses much less memory than on any Retina iPads. This is why it's mostly Retina iPads that are affected by Safari crashing (but, at least, background tab killing) issues.

I cannot speak to whether or not issues occur on retina iPads with A7 processors (64bit) as I do not have one. The OP's question seemed to be focused around the stability of iOS 7 on the 5s though so I gave him input on my experiences regarding the issue in question.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
That's because of the meagre system RAM - 1 GB is simply insufficient with a 64-bit OS, particularly with extremely memory-hungry widgets like UIWebView (also used by Safari).

Idk about you, but my 5s can hold a ton of apps open in the background, despite it's "meagre system RAM" as you seem to imply...

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Do you have any references for that? Why would a web page use more or less RAM on an iPad compared to an iPhone?

Traditionally, the memory usage of UIWebView (and, consequently, Safari) has been proportional to the screen resolution. (Screen buffering, I assume.) Back in around late 2010 when I measured this (discussing the results with Alexander Clauss, author of iCab), for example, the non-Retina 3GS used far at least three times less memory than the Retina iPhone 4 to load exactly the same web page. The iPad 1, which has a higher-resolution screen than even the Retina iPhone 4, fared even worse.

I'll compile a new test some time, now, with iOS7. Based on the crash / tab killing reports I've seen, the situation seems to be the same as was back in 2010: you can open far more pages on the 1GB and, comparatively, low-res iPhone 5/5s/5c than on any Retina iPads because the latter need way more memory to load the same page.

----------

Idk about you, but my 5s can hold a ton of apps open in the background, despite it's "meagre system RAM" as you seem to imply...

Sorry, later (and also my just-posted message) I've explained I meant Retina iPads, not the 5s.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012

I usually keep a few tabs open on my iPad air and it almost never crashes and i never have an slow downs or memory problems

Ieo

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
I have crashes, but it's specific apps that trigger them. AlienBlue and the stock music app are the primary culprits, with the music app by far being the most unstable. In fact, I can make it crash on purpose 9 times out of 10 by doing things like switching to iTunes Radio and changing the station before the first one has loaded or by switching between playlists and artists before cover art has loaded.

iOS 7 is still painfully buggy. Stuttering and sluggishness on my ipad, multiple daily crashes on my iPhone...i'm pretty disappointed.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Traditionally, the memory usage of UIWebView (and, consequently, Safari) has been proportional to the screen resolution. (Screen buffering, I assume.) Back in around late 2010 when I measured this (discussing the results with Alexander Clauss, author of iCab), for example, the non-Retina 3GS used far at least three times less memory than the Retina iPhone 4 to load exactly the same web page. The iPad 1, which has a higher-resolution screen than even the Retina iPhone 4, fared even worse.

I'll compile a new test some time, now, with iOS7. Based on the crash / tab killing reports I've seen, the situation seems to be the same as was back in 2010: you can open far more pages on the 1GB and, comparatively, low-res iPhone 5/5s/5c than on any Retina iPads because the latter need way more memory to load the same page.

----------

Sorry, later (and also my just-posted message) I've explained I meant Retina iPads, not the 5s.

Totally missed that. My bad. :)

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007

IMO, the 64-bit libraries are not yet fully optimized and stable. It's crashing daily for me on my A7 devices but my family's 32-bit devices are much more stable.

If you don't need iPhone 5S right now, I'd hold off until iPhone 6 next summer with iOS 8, they are more likely to have this fixed by then. There's a good chance that it'd double in memory as well.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
IMO, the 64-bit libraries are not yet fully optimized and stable. It's crashing daily for me on my A7 devices but my family's 32-bit devices are much more stable.

If you don't need iPhone 5S right now, I'd hold off until iPhone 6 next summer with iOS 8, they are more likely to have this fixed by then. There's a good chance that it'd double in memory as well.

The iPhone 5S should already have had 2 GB, but Apple is too greedy to spend the $10 or so that it would cost to go from 1->2GB. It's called planned obsolescence as well.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
The iPhone 5S should already have had 2 GB, but Apple is too greedy to spend the $10 or so that it would cost to go from 1->2GB. It's called planned obsolescence as well.

It should already have a bigger screen, it should already have 32gb storage by default, it should already..... etc etc.

If you don't like it, don't buy it, or switch to another company. Vote with your money, not by complaining about it which won't get you anywhere.

Apple rarely listens to customers and they seem to be doing just fine. I don't see the most spec'ed up models outselling iPhone. So, Apple's going to do whatever they want to do.

It's also called continuous gradual hardware refresh cycle, they'll upgrade each year and eventually, they'll upgrade the RAM.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012

ios 7.1 will be out when it's ready no need two rush it

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
It should already have a bigger screen, it should already have 32gb storage by default, it should already..... etc etc.

If you don't like it, don't buy it, or switch to another company. Vote with your money, not by complaining about it which won't get you anywhere.

Apple rarely listens to customers and they seem to be doing just fine. I don't see the most spec'ed up models outselling iPhone. So, Apple's going to do whatever they want to do.

It's also called continuous gradual hardware refresh cycle, they'll upgrade each year and eventually, they'll upgrade the RAM.

Well, I am not buying it, so I am voting with my money.

And talking about it might open up the eyes for some people, right? That's what the forums are for.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

And talking about it might open up the eyes for some people, right? That's what the forums are for.

Correct. I appreciate your point of view, however I am enjoying my new 5s sort of.

- coming from a blackberry email seems kind of primitive
- thank goodness for autocorrect. The amount of typing errors made is very high.
- screen and speed are nice. Actually more than nice, this phone is fast.
- still find myself going around in circles go get something done on the phone.
- cant see why the camera is so great...I miss a lot of shots my DSLR could have captured effortlessly. However video is nice, pano is nice, slomo is slick.
- not emamored with the battery life.

That's my point of view. Maybe it will open the eyes for others as well.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland

If you didn't buy one, are not using one on a daily basis what makes you think that you can put forward an informed opinion? Your post is basically stating "I DON'T HAVE ONE BUT YOU SHOULDN'T BUY ONE EITHER BECAUSE ITS **** SO I HAVE HEARD".

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
If you didn't buy one, are not using one on a daily basis what makes you think that you can put forward an informed opinion? Your post is basically stating "I DON'T HAVE ONE BUT YOU SHOULDN'T BUY ONE EITHER BECAUSE ITS **** SO I HAVE HEARD".

Funny you say that as I frequent auto forums, people post auto "reviews" based on comments in consumer reports, road and track, car and driver etc. without HAVING DRIVEN SAID VEHICLE. Didn't realize people didn't the same things with phones. Live and learn.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I have both an iPhone 5S and an iPad Air and I can say that iOS 7 is far from stable.
Most of the issues occur when using the multitasking view, or when using the personal hotspot feature on the iPhone.
Safari is great on the iPhone but not on the iPad Air. It crashes very often, reloads tabs more often than the iPad 4 with iOS 7 and it slows down, especially when using lots of programs that run on the background.
I don't know if it's the lack of RAM or the fact that iOS 7 is a big step and is not really mature and ready yet...I guess the truth is somewhere in between...

I disabled animations on my devices and the last two days had no crashes, but that could be just a coincidence. I will wait a couple of days more before forming an opinion if Reduce Motion helps or not.
Overall I feel that iOS 7 works well (apart from the system crashes) on the iPhone, but on the iPad it is not good at all..

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
How does not owning one in any way disqualify someone from saying that it should be even more up to date with technology (like simply having more RAM as was suggested and is the case with more and more of its competitors)? You certainly don't have to own it to make an observation like that and still have it be meaningful. To dismiss comments of that sort on owning it or not rather than actually discussing or arguing the points themselves only shows that there isn't much of an argument to be made.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
How does not owning one in any way disqualify someone from saying that it should be even more up to date with technology (like simply having more RAM as was suggested and is the case with more and more of its competitors)? You certainly don't have to own it to make an observation like that and still have it be meaningful. To dismiss comments of that sort on owning it or not rather than actually discussing or arguing the points themselves only shows that there isn't much of an argument to be made.

Not owning using the device doesn't disqualify someone from having an opinion. It disqualifies them from having an informed opinion.

My issue with ios 7 is battery life not instability, except as noted in prior posts. There are always those who will have issues on a computing device, it's the nature of the beast.

To read this forum and conclude the 5s has wholesale issues with ios 7.0.4 is way off base and inaccurate.

Of course I think the 5s should be bigger, have more working ram, wireless charging, fm radio built in, but I'm not Apple and voted with my dollars that the status quo is okay with me.

An informed opinion carries more weight than an uninformed opinion, even if I don't agree with the informed opinion.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland

Fair enough. I think that all Android devices are rubbish because they have 2GB of RAM and use more battery because of the RAM, and they need the ram because of the fat ass inefficient way the OS works I would never buy one I vote with my wallet etc etc.

I haven't spent a lot of time with any particular android device, I have no metrics to backup my argument but it must be a valid argument going on your statement, no?

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL

So, he shouldn't buy it because he's concerned about it and its performance, but he can't talk about it online because he doesn't own one.

I love the logic there.

----------

Fair enough. I think that all Android devices are rubbish because they have 2GB of RAM and use more battery because of the RAM, and they need the ram because of the fat ass inefficient way the OS works I would never buy one I vote with my wallet etc etc.

I haven't spent a lot of time with any particular android device, I have no metrics to backup my argument but it must be a valid argument going on your statement, no?

Uh, thats what most Apple fanboys say on a daily basis. All of those things can be proven, btw. You don't need to own one in order for that to happen. Saying the usability of Android sucks because it doesn't suit you when in fact you've never owned one would be a much better argument.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.