Are iPad 2 WiFi issues all that bad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Patrick J, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Patrick J, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012

Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

I just bought a WIFI only iPad 2 for my mom. She’s been introduced to tech by me and has got into the habit of watching old music videos on her phone (3.5”). Enough is enough.

The only thing I’m scared of is that she’ll have WIFI issues. The iPad will at most be used around 10 meters from the router, with 1/2 interior walls in between.

Will there be a problem?

EDIT: 10 meters is ~30 feet.

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I've never had a problem with mine. Our router is in my roommates room with two walls and a 20 foot hall in between it and my room.

3. Patrick J thread starter macrumors 65816

Patrick J

This would be at around 30 feet, what reception do you have?

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Does she have wifi issues with her iPhone? If no, then same answer for iPad.

5. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

The wireless connectivity of my iPad 2 has been just fine.

6. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

I have never had problems with the wifi on my iPad2

7. tmagman macrumors 6502

never had a single issue with wifi with mine. I'm often three floors up from the router and opposite corners of the house and i can stream whatever I want just fine, via internet or via another computer.

8. Patrick J thread starter macrumors 65816

Patrick J

She is currently using an Android phone.

It’s a crappy phone (Boston Android), and it always works by the fireplace (10meters), and sometimes works in her bedroom (probably less than ten meters but the floor above).

I’m just scared by all the “wifi problems” a google search turns up regarding iPad 2 (even versus iPad 1!).

9. Zcott macrumors 68020

The millions of iPad 2 users with no wifi trouble at all don't write on the internet about it.

10. Patrick J thread starter macrumors 65816

Patrick J

What router do you have?

11. ghostworld macrumors member

ghostworld

I've never had any issues with wifi on my iPad2. So far everything works perfectly.

12. roberthodgson macrumors regular

13. rasputinj macrumors regular

no problems on my iPad 2. I have helped another 15 people with theirs and no issues. I also have deployed 50 at work and no issues there either.

14. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

This. I've never had any issues with my iPad 2 wifi (or complaints).

15. SlasherDuff macrumors 6502a

SlasherDuff

No problems with my iPad wifi, I am using an apple airport extreme, for a router

16. The Catalyst macrumors 6502

No problems here: iPad2 connecting to an Apple Time Capsule, and an older Netgear router.

17. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    My iPad 2 (launch day order) travels with me everywhere. I've never counted the number of WiFi connections I've made at various locations, but it's high. Only once in the past ten months did I have a momentary glitch in making a WiFi connection, and that was at my office because of a problem with our router. A router/modem reset immediately corrected the glitch.

We have an indoor walking track in my community. Around 201 meters (1/8th mile). The router is in the front office of this sports complex and I always have terrific connectivity while listening to the radio on my iPad 2 while I walk. This is a building filled with steel beams, supports, and concrete walls. Pre-iPad, I used a Walkman, which lost signal halfway around.

If you are having signal strength problems with your router, there are plenty of tips available on how to boost the signal.

Your mom's going to love her iPad!

18. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

I have never had any issues with my iPad WiFi! At home, my router is on the 2nd floor, and no matter where I am in the house (~3800 sq ft), I have no problems connecting and staying connected!

19. tmagman macrumors 6502

Airport Extreme (bought spring of this year).

Even with my old D-Link DIR-655 (an outstanding router by the way) I had no issues.

20. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...

21. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I have one router that my iPad doesn't get along with. The wifi gets dropped every couple of hours and I have to turn the wifi on then off to reconnect. But everywhere else it's terrific. (And that router only has problems with the iPad, it's weird.)

22. newdeal macrumors 68020

I have an iPad and never have an issue, my mother has an iPad and also never has an issue (and she is connecting to a hotspot on a phone not even a router)

23. Mochi Hana macrumors 6502a

Mochi Hana

I use my iPad on the 2nd story of a 2 story house most of the time and haven't had any problems. I'm sure your mom won't have issues either.

24. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I've never had any wifi problems with my iPad 2 since I bought it back in May.