Are iPad 2 WiFi issues all that bad?

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
I just bought a WIFI only iPad 2 for my mom. She’s been introduced to tech by me and has got into the habit of watching old music videos on her phone (3.5”). Enough is enough.

The only thing I’m scared of is that she’ll have WIFI issues. The iPad will at most be used around 10 meters from the router, with 1/2 interior walls in between.

Will there be a problem?

EDIT: 10 meters is ~30 feet.

Last edited:

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
I've never had a problem with mine. Our router is in my roommates room with two walls and a 20 foot hall in between it and my room.

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
Does she have wifi issues with her iPhone? If no, then same answer for iPad.

tmagman

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Calgary AB
never had a single issue with wifi with mine. I'm often three floors up from the router and opposite corners of the house and i can stream whatever I want just fine, via internet or via another computer.

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
Does she have wifi issues with her iPhone? If no, then same answer for iPad.
She is currently using an Android phone.

It’s a crappy phone (Boston Android), and it always works by the fireplace (10meters), and sometimes works in her bedroom (probably less than ten meters but the floor above).

I’m just scared by all the “wifi problems” a google search turns up regarding iPad 2 (even versus iPad 1!).

rasputinj

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
no problems on my iPad 2. I have helped another 15 people with theirs and no issues. I also have deployed 50 at work and no issues there either.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
My iPad 2 (launch day order) travels with me everywhere. I've never counted the number of WiFi connections I've made at various locations, but it's high. Only once in the past ten months did I have a momentary glitch in making a WiFi connection, and that was at my office because of a problem with our router. A router/modem reset immediately corrected the glitch.

We have an indoor walking track in my community. Around 201 meters (1/8th mile). The router is in the front office of this sports complex and I always have terrific connectivity while listening to the radio on my iPad 2 while I walk. This is a building filled with steel beams, supports, and concrete walls. Pre-iPad, I used a Walkman, which lost signal halfway around.

If you are having signal strength problems with your router, there are plenty of tips available on how to boost the signal.

Your mom's going to love her iPad!

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
I have never had any issues with my iPad WiFi! At home, my router is on the 2nd floor, and no matter where I am in the house (~3800 sq ft), I have no problems connecting and staying connected!

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
I have one router that my iPad doesn't get along with. The wifi gets dropped every couple of hours and I have to turn the wifi on then off to reconnect. But everywhere else it's terrific. (And that router only has problems with the iPad, it's weird.)

newdeal

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2009

I have an iPad and never have an issue, my mother has an iPad and also never has an issue (and she is connecting to a hotspot on a phone not even a router)

Mochi Hana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Texas
I use my iPad on the 2nd story of a 2 story house most of the time and haven't had any problems. I'm sure your mom won't have issues either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.