iPad are ipads good for viewing PDF files?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vmflapem, Oct 30, 2014.

1. vmflapem macrumors 6502

Just wondering if there's any fellow college students out there using their ipads to read pdf files. Can you guys share some experience with it?

2. justinTlME macrumors 6502

justinTlME

Yea it works great. Will open up right in the iBooks app.

3. go ipad macrumors member

go ipad

4. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

It's a big reason why I want an iPad. I opened a few pdfs in store and it worked well.

5. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

PDF looks great with full size iPad but not sure about iPad Mini? :apple:

6. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

A lot of my text books came with e-versions, and using an iPad in landscape mode is a plus. Some of the more sophisticated books, like 'Rules for Writers', have hot links for TOC-to-page navigation and some have hot web links. Home-made PDFs work well. The ability to enlarge the pages is awesome.

7. Strange Famous macrumors member

I use my iPad every day in class with power point lectures converted to PDFs. So I would say yes.

8. Aros888 macrumors newbie

Absolutely! I actually think iPads (and iOS in general) handle PDFs much better than OS X; it's incredibly smooth compared to the laggy, disjointed scrolling and zooming in *any* PDF viewing application on OSX.

I keep everything on there (well, in the cloud, synced to the iPad). It's much more convenient (and easier to carry) than having everything on paper. I scan everything I can and use OCR to convert the scanned images to searchable PDFs.

I recommend PDF Expert or Goodreader. PDF Expert is better looking, extremely smooth, and very functional, but Goodreader is cheaper and possibly better for editing PDFs. They both have the ability to sync with dropbox and other cloud storage methods. (I should note that Notability is also good for editing PDFs, but not as good for viewing long ones.)

9. vmflapem thread starter macrumors 6502

10. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

I'm a college teacher. The main reason I got an iPad mini retina has been for viewing technical books written in pdf format, and it has been excellent for this purpose. It's a bit small; I use IAnnotate or PdfExpert, which make it easy to hide a bit of the margin which helps. But I find the portability well worth the compromise in size for me.

11. Strange Famous macrumors member

The 2 apps I use the most with PDFs, well 3 apps. First is PDF Converter, which can convert powerpoints to PDF. Then all PDFs go into Documents by Readdle. From their I open them in Note Taker HD for annotating with a stylus.

Works out very well.

12. CEmajr macrumors 601

Look great on the iPad Mini too. That's one of my main uses for it.

13. shesaidimcute macrumors newbie

I use it all the time to read books/large pdf documents. My biggest complaint is that the page numbers never line up with the actual text. Page 16 of a text will actually be page 24 of the pdf document. Does anyone know how to fix pdfs so that you can align the pages?