Are Iphone and Ipod Touch's

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by elpmas, Sep 23, 2009.

1. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

2. oculus42 macrumors 6502

mostly. Some apps require an iPhone, some require the 3GS (faster processor) which *may* work on the new Gen3 iPod Touch (32 or 64 gig models) which support the newer OpenGL and have the faster processor.

3. DrawnToLife macrumors regular

Lemme elaborate.
    Any apps that involve Phones don't work on the Touch.
    Any apps that require GPS or Microphones will only work with external attachments.
    Apps that require a faster processor will only work on the 3G S and the 3G Touch and possibly the 2G Touch. (Though they will work on the old models, it will lag)
    Apps that require 3G/Edge/WiFi can only be used on WiFi with the Touch.

4. elpmas thread starter macrumors 68000

elpmas

Thanks. I just needed to know if most of them are interchangeable :]

5. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

Essentially they run the same software and apps are built to run on both platforms. Some apps have features which will only work on the iPhone and some apps will benefit from the faster processors in newer models, but all apps can run on all platforms (as far as I know).

6. elpmas thread starter macrumors 68000

elpmas

I was thinking that as well. I just needed to confirm it with some of you guys/gals who has experience with Ipod Touches. Thanks again.

7. SeaDoc macrumors newbie

So to clarify regarding touch and iphone compatibility...

If I have approx 200 plus apps (many free) - on my Iphone 3gs - can I merely plug my new, just going to buy (not yet) the 3rd gen 64gb touch... Will these apps go right into the touch, or do I have to repurchase them all over again...??? thanks for the clarification, in advance...

8. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

You can sync your applications with any devices linked to your computer. Say you and your partner have iPhones, and your children both have iPod Touches, all syncing to the same computer, you can buy an app once and put it on all of the devices.

Make sense?

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yes... but some apps require iPhone-only features. For instance, the digital compass, 3G data, etc. But the Facebook app on my friend's iPhone is the same exact Facebook app on my iPod touch. Only difference is that my friend has 3G data so he can connect where he goes.