Are iPhone and iTouch apps interchangeable?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by BSartist, Nov 11, 2008.

1. BSartist macrumors newbie

I am considering the purchase if an iPod Touch. Well, OK. I AM GOING to be purchasing an iPod Touch. :)

When I read about iPhone applications, can I assume that the OS is similar enough to the iPod Touch that most or all will also run on the iPod? For example, there is a new app coming out with Parallels 4.0 that they claim runs on the iPhone. I am curious if that means also on the iTouch. Or is is a case by case basis?

Another example is a Sonos controller app for the iPhone.

Thanx for any insights you can lend.

Bill Smith

P.S. Of course I understand that there will probably be apps that require/assume phone functionality or cell connectivity. So no need to address that in the answer. I know they won't work.

2. acedew macrumors member

My understanding is that both the iPod Touch and the iPhone run the same OS, the iPhone OS. Apps work on a case by case basis, but I believe the only ones that don't work require hardware that does not exist on the Touch. Apps that utilize location services are the most common, since the Touch doesn't have GPS or a cell network associated with it.

Sonos works with the Touch, don't know about the Parallels app. Most apps say they are for the iPhone, then if you read the description it will say, "for your iPhone (or iPod Touch)".

3. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

All apps can be used on the iPhone but there are a select few that cannot be used on the iPod Touch. Most of the ones that cannot be used by the Touch are ones that require GPS or a microphone.

4. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Yes. Buy an app, stick it on an iPhone, the same app can go on your iPod touch.

5. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

There are a few that can't be used on a touch but not many. Like I said, only ones that need features that only the iPhone have cannot be used on an iPod Touch; i.e. GPS and microphone.

6. BSartist thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanx for the info!

Thank you all for taking the time to answer.