Are iphone displays LED backlit?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by prism, Jul 14, 2008.

1. prism macrumors 6502a

2. dap1215 macrumors regular

I can't verify that the iphone uses LED's, but I'm almost sure of it. Most ALL cell phones have used LED's light since the beginning.

3. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

yes, this goes for all models of iPods as well

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yes, both 1st Gen and 3G iPhone use LEDs for backlighting.

5. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is this just pure conjecture or is there an official indication of LED backlights for the iphone?

6. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

There is mention of Mercury Free LCD on the iPhone Tech Spec Page:

here

As well as a mention of the use of LED in iPods from Steve's Environment Press Release:

here

7. imagine123 macrumors newbie

I would very much like to know this as well... There is no evidence anywhere that points to an LED backlight, not mentioned in any reviews or dissections. Weird if you ask me.

On the apple page, it mentions LED backlight for the ipods, but just says "multi-touch display" for iphone and itouch. Can anyone confirm that there is indeed an LED backlight in the iphone?

8. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

My guess is probably not. The iPhone came out a year before the LED display's did. And when the iPhone 3G came out Apple never mentioned anything about LED screens. If I was Apple, I would have had that right under the 3G on their ads. I have a feeling what you have is a good old fashioned backlit LCD. However, the LED may come to a future model since they use less power than an LCD and would result in better battery life.

If it says LCD in the tech specs, then there is your answer. And it is the iPhone does not have an LED screen. There is a difference between and LED screen and an LED backlit screen.

9. imagine123 macrumors newbie

No one ever said anything about LED screen... We are talking about LED or CCFL backlight, BOTH are LCD. But in any case, you are right, they would have emphasized the LED backlight if it were there. I guess apple cheaped out on this one, since HTC touch and Blackberry Storm both have led backlights.

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LCD

They're different. One is a screen technology, the other is a light.

11. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

lol at noobs not knowing the difference between LED's and LCD technology

it seems that apple probably uses a mercury-free FFL ( not a cold cathode mercury one)

i think if it used LED backlighting they would be touting it as such ( every LED back light product I've bought makes it very clear that it is LED backlit in the packaging or advertising)

12. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Why would they not use LED backlights? As already stated, all other cellphones use LED backlights, shoot your 10 year old phones probably had em too.

It's more a thing of power consumption and size than anything else in this case!

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    It's not really my engineering field, but...

For many years, CCFL was the technology of choice. Lower power than anything else, including LED. I remember changing the light tube on an HP Jornada handheld PPC that went out on me. Looked just like a very thin flourescent lamp, which it is.

However, the iPhone LCD assembly looks way too thin to use CCFL. And almost everyone has used LED backlights for smartphones for about five years now. So I go with LED (or a small probability of EL panel).

(To those who wonder: LED backlights are new on larger displays, not on small. It's only recently that using dozens of LEDs to backlight a large LCD panel became as power efficient as using one or more CCFLs.)

14. imagine123 macrumors newbie

Is there any way to prove this? I'd like to know for sure because I have the opportunity to buy one at a subsidized cost and I'm trying to decide whether I should wait for the new one coming in summer.

Btw, couldn't we tell just by looking at the dissection pics and seeing if there is an inverter or not?

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Dissection pics show a couple of possible power management chips. No one knows if they're inverters or not. But again, the display looks too thin for anything except LED or EL backlighting.

Obvious Q: why does it matter?

Power usage difference between LED and CCFL is probably around 10% or less.

The only other real difference is that CCFL loses brightness over time, while LEDs change hue.

16. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

lol i guess the answer is no one knows then :p

i sort of agree though that the lcd panel is too thin to be ccfl, but who knows

17. imagine123 macrumors newbie

Well, if they are CCFL now, this means that the new one coming out will definitely have LED (since the BB Storm, for example, already has it) and have better battery life.

18. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Yeah, CCFL would require a slanted mirror case behind the LCD, and the pictures I've seen of it are very thin and flat. The tube itself isn't flat. And you don't see the usual CCFL extra brightness along one side.

19. imagine123 macrumors newbie

There is one way to check: if anyone has had a broken screen and replaced the LCD unit itself, they could take apart the old one and look at the backlight used? Or if someone who works for iphone repair?

*bump*

Still no answer? This is driving me nuts :p

20. topdoggb macrumors newbie

21. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

22. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

well both LCD panels are pretty similar

nice investigative work, looks like this mystery is solved

23. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

Just a quick point/question, even though the mystery is solved. The screen lights up instantly to full brightness when you wake the phone. There's no "warm up" like a typical laptop or desktop LCD. Isn't that indicative of LED instead of CCFL?

24. gazzer82 macrumors regular

25. thisisarcadia macrumors 6502

what is the difference between LED and OLED?!