Are iPhone games generally patented?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Jeaniousss, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Jeaniousss macrumors newbie

Hi all, I am currently working on creating a game for my organization that will possibly be very similar to the popular "Labyrinth" game. I am a complete beginner when it comes to creating games/applications for the iPhone, so I wanted to know whether or not I will need to request permission to create this game/look up patent information for the existing game. While a simple Google search led me to the patents for the actual board game, I found nothing pertaining to the application. Thanks so much in advance.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'm pretty sure you can't patent a game. But it will be copyrighted. If you're game is too similar you will be opening yourself up to legal action and damages.

3. omicron macrumors member

Then I should expect Gameloft to be sued by Bungie, Blizzard, Sony, and Square!

I think you'll be fine :) there are so many labyrinth games out there anyway.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I did say too similar. I suspect they are just different enough to get away with it!

5. Nikh macrumors regular

Yeah, you are right. I read some time ago about this. Nobody can patent the game process, but they can have trademark for game name (like Tetris by EA - damn that worst tetris implementation I even seen), and all audio/visual materials are protected by copyright laws as well (i.e. you cannot grab images/sounds).
    However, if you will make tetris clone, call it 'bricks', and use your own graphics there everything will be okay.