Are iPod Touches usually THIS much brighter than iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vegeta-san, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

So today I helped a friend out with putting some tv shows on his iPod touch, when I came to realize after looking at my iPhone and his touch together that his screen is so much brighter (both at max level) than my phones is. Granted, I've had my phone since September and he just got his Touch in December. But I thought the screens in these both use LED's and not LCD's and thus, shouldn't dim out so quickly. I mean, just using my phone over the past couple months, I've seen no problem with the screen...But after comparing these two, his Touch's screen is just so much brighter and better.

Is this normal? Are iPod Touch screens usually brighter than iPhones? Can anyone with a more recent iPhone here (recieved after January 1st) and a nearby iPod Touch compare and tell me if the difference is as striking as I find it to me on mine? Or is my screen just faulty (it also has the negative black issue, I just never considred it a big enough deal to send off to Apple)? I've included 2 photos. The second picture was taken with a friends HTC Touch, the first picture was taken with my MBP. The iPhone is on the right on both pictures.

Attached Files:

2. mikelliott macrumors member

My wife's iTouch is indeed brighter than my iPhone. Try it in a theater after the lights go down and before the movie starts !!

3. spinstorm macrumors 65816

I can't tell how old your iPhone is but I am sure if you compare screens you will see that although the iPod may be brighter that the screen is inferior with a yellow tint and off colours and negative blacks.

Just compare the battery screen when they are both charging and you will see what I mean.

Unfortunately Apple are now using cheap screens for the iPhone and touch and there is nothing we can do about it!

4. Aries326 macrumors 6502

Maybe your iPhone is set to auto brightness and therefore isn't being set to the brightest setting?

5. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Do I gather from this comment that you never got your problem resolved?

6. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

No, that definently wasn't it. I checked beforehand. All variables (with respect to user configurable screen brightness) were the same.

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

All LCD screens are not created equal. I have three iPhones and the lighting on all three is slightly differant even though they are series 7 LCDs. Nothing to worry about, nothing defective.

8. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, I understand that, but is my assumption about the iPhone screen being an LED that will take a very long time to dull/burn out correct or is it instead an LCD screen??

9. DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

It's an LCD with LED backlighting.

10. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

so is it logically feasible that ever since I got this phone, the screen has dimmed a little bit and therefore can't be compared to a brand new iPod touch?