Are iSkins any good?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shuffles, Oct 14, 2009.

1. shuffles macrumors 6502

shuffles

My Macbook Pro 13 is being delivered today and im thinking of getting some skins for it? Does anyone know what the iSkins are like for keyboards? I really like the plain red one but i'm not sure how they feel.

Also, I think it was on this site but I'm not sure where I saw a cool skin for the cover of the Macbook. I can't remember what it was exactly but the design revolved around the Apple logo. I'm pretty sure it was mentioned on this site somewhere.

Cheers.

2. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

steps to a sad life

1) Buy the best looking laptop on the market
    2) Make it massively ugly by adding an aftermarket skin which it doesn't need

3. madog macrumors 65816

madog

1) Buy one of the most expensive notebooks on the market
    2) Chose to protect from damage by buying after market skins and covers for it.

Those iSkins are alright. I don't know if they still do, but before they shipped in a tiny box with the skin folded inside. When you unfold it still has some creases in it although they do smooth out after a couple weeks of use.

While you kind of want to leave it in when you close the lid to help flatten out the skin, after a while when the skin gets dirty it will sometimes rub off on the screen, however I never had any permanent damage from it.

I haven't used one on a Unibody yet, so I don't know how the skin fits while the screen is closed. It's probably a little tighter than the previous models I've used 'em with.

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I suppose they'd be ok. But I wouldn't buy one, I like the MBPs just the way they are.:D

5. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

moshi clearguard for the keyboard, invisibleshield for the exterior.

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Most ridiculous post I've read all week. You must've missed all the threads about spilling Coke, coffee, Garlic butter, energy drinks, beef fat, wine and soup down in the keyboards, only to get slapped with an $800 repair bill from Apple. The iSkin would definitely be a benefit for most users.

The Moshi clearguard sux, it builds up a cloudy residue that can't be removed. The iSkin is an excellent cover and offers the same color keys as the MBP. The new one now works with the backlit keyboard.

7. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Can someone inform me of what "massively ugly" is exactly?

8. felt. macrumors 6502a

I use one because the purpose of my laptop is not to impress anyone, so I don't care if it makes it ugly (I think it does). thought about the moshi but after seeing that they turn cloudy and you can't get rid of the cloudy look I thought no thx. normally I wouldn't care but my friend did open a beer near my last laptop once and it exploded all over my keyboard, so I don't really wanna void my warranty with these silly new moisture detectors built in. typing on it takes a little bit of getting used to, mostly you just need to press exactly in the center of the key and slightly harder than usual. after a while you don't notice..and it makes it more quiet if your using it in libraries or whatever.., also when I see all the oil,dirt,food crumbs,pet hair, etc that it prevents from getting inside the machine It's reason enough to keep me using it..

9. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

Well I think in that post, ugly is somehow quantifiable (yes, not sure how either) and the amount of ugly is in massive proportions.

10. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

I'm surprised people more people weren't with me on the massively ugly comment. I appreciate it is practical, but Macbooks were meant to be used naked. :D

11. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

12. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

Personally I like the clear red iskin, it makes it different whilst protecting it! But sure everyones entitled to their own opinion.

13. PodHead macrumors member

PodHead

14. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

15. XP Defector macrumors 6502

Anyone have experiences with those INCASE protectors?

16. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

I thought they only did cases & sleeves? That's a bit different from a keyboard protector.

I don't understand, nobody said they had bought a Ferrari, it was just a simile