Are iTunes movie downloads worth it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by matthuds, May 16, 2010.

1. matthuds macrumors newbie

I have never used iTunes to download a movie before and am considering this option now I have an iPad.

However as most movies on iTunes are the same price or often more then the DVD would be in the store. I want to know if I download a film onto my iPad, and subsequently decide I want to watch it on my TV, and connect my iPad to my TV or watch it on my MBP will it be the same quality as a DVD? Or am I best to do it in reverse and go to the hassle of buying the DVD and ripping it?

I dont mind paying a little more for the convenience, but if the quality is not as good as DVD is it really worth it?

2. VTMac macrumors 6502

I haven't bought movies directly to the iPad, but I have for AppleTV. I can tell you that to my eyes, the standard def movies on iTunes are slightly lower quality than DVD. But the Hi Def movies on iTunes are higher quality than DVD. So I go for the Hi Def version.

3. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

And to add to that note, the hidef versions are lower quality than blu-ray discs.

So it all comes down to what quality you are looking for. Additionally, the audio of the hidef version will not match that of a blu-ray disc.

4. JayMysterio Suspended

JayMysterio

To me it's always nice having a physical copy to fall back on. Since you can decide the quality of the rip, I imagine anything you put on your IPad will be as good as what you can download from ITunes.

5. SCOTTGAZ9 macrumors regular

SCOTTGAZ9

+ 1 ;)

6. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I try to buy Blu-rays with a digital copy included. I only rent movies directly from iTunes.

7. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

SD if you're only going to watch it on iPad.

HD if you plan to watch it on tv, mb, etc.

8. ukyo229 Guest

If you love watching movies, then you will be disappointed with the quality.

9. dread macrumors 6502a

Are the previews or samples in iTunes representative of the quality you get when you buy the movie.

10. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

While DVD and BluRay will not sold in a few years, I still buy them so that while watching on a TV I have the best quality, then I make digital copies of the DVD with Handbrake.

11. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

+1

12. mtwilford macrumors member

This works best in my opinion. :D