are keyboard covers good use on lap?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sossity, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I have always had one on my notebooks, but I just read that they can block venting, and transfer dirt and oils from fingers to the screen when it is closed.

I have them to protect from dust, I am in a dusty environment.

Also I read that it is not good to use them on your lap, and one should use a lapdesk, but I thought that is why they are called laptops.

2. thebro20 macrumors regular

i dont know about blocking vents but it will transfer oils on the screen and can leave permanent marks

3. Veuxtres macrumors newbie

4. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

You can use your laptop on your lap. Who said you should not use a laptop on a lap? That's the whole point of a laptop...

5. nerowolfe macrumors member

Been using a keyboard cover on my rMBP since forever w/o problems. Just make sure to remove it when closing the lid, that's all.

You can use your laptop on your lap, but it's better to be mindful about not blocking the vents, esp if you're running a cpu/gpu intensive app and it's running hot.

6. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

It is very tedious to remove the keyboard cover every time you close the lid.

7. nerowolfe macrumors member

It's also very tedious to brush one's teeth every time before going to bed.

8. lionkin macrumors regular

lionkin

What happens If I close the lid with the keyboard cover?

9. Acronyc macrumors 6502

I close the lid on my rMBP with the keyboard cover on all the time. Especially on days of heavy use and travel. When I open the lid, I just clean the screen with a microfiber cloth if dirty. Takes less than a minute. At home or on days where I'm just taking it from point A to B once, I'll take the cover off when I close it. But anyway, it doesn't harm it from my experience as long as you clean the screen if dirty. I've had my rMBP for two years and have yet to scratch the screen.

10. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

I had one briefly and than just tossed it away. Why ? It kept transferring the outline of the keyboard keys to the screen. Got tired of it. Enough said :D

11. nerowolfe macrumors member

This and the dreaded possibility of pressure spots, which is why the supplied protective screen sheet wasn't cutting it anymore when using keyboard cover with the lid closed.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think due to the MBP's tight tolerances mean that keyboard covers will be rubbing up against the screen. I'd not recommend using them