Are LED screens likley at Macworld?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Caris, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

I've been doing some searching and Googling and can't really find out if this is likely to happen or not. I know Apple are going towards LED screens but a 20" will be quite expensive to make if I'm thinking right and for a "consumer" product they might leave it. It's not like it's going to give the iMac a better battery or anything is it haha.

What are your thoughts?

2. synagence macrumors 6502a

LED backlights aren't just for power ... they also offer localised blackout so you get much better contrast ratios .... i would think any new imac would have LED backlights

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Since Apple said, "By the end of 2008, we will have phased out all CFL backlights in our products for LED"...

I'm pretty darn sure it's a lock.

4. zedsdead macrumors 68040

Outside of the recent iPhone Nano rumors, Macworld is likely to be a very Mac-centric event:

(1) Redesigned Mac Mini
    (2) Updates to iMac and Mac Pro
    (3) Snow Leopard Preview
    (4) 20" & 30" LED screens

The only thing we haven't heard about is a new iLife/iWork which is really needed.

5. ADent macrumors 6502a

There is already a LED screen. And the new mini will be able to use it.

I don't think they will ship a 20" screen, but maybe a 30" screen, if they update the towers too.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Apple would hate money if there is no 20-inch display. I don't know a single person who has a 24-inch display. Nooobody. I'm looking at getting one (when money grows on trees), but I'm looking at a $450 Samsung that has an HD tuner built in. I still don't get Apple's pricing matrix because it doesn't look $450 better than the Samsung.

7. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Well 20" seems a bit small by today's standards. The average display I see selling is 22". Apple's displays will never cost the same as the Samsung ones. H-IPS, LED backlit, Magsafe connector, iSight + mic. I see possibly a 22" for $599, but I doubt they'll keep the 20" and I highly doubt they'll price any of their displays under $500.

8. kasakka macrumors 68000

24 inch screens are getting cheaper all the time. You can already get TN panel based models for 300€ and S-PVA or H-IPS for under 600€. The truly great ones for professional graphics work are still around 900€ though.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple actually dropped the 20" model altogether or replaced it with a 22" one. One can only hope they don't combine LED backlight with TN panel ****.

9. Bad Paper macrumors 6502

I'm gonna have to call BS on this one. 24", sure. 20"...mayyyyybe. 30"? Doubtful.

10. zedsdead macrumors 68040

24" LED is already available. The other two have to be coming.

11. kolax macrumors G3

For the MacBooks, not for the Mac Pro.

They could still produce another 24" display, seeing as they are yet to produce DVI to DisplayPort adapters..

12. Bad Paper macrumors 6502

...you mean, like the mid-size tower? And the G5 notebook?