Are LEDs safe now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zoran, Aug 20, 2007.

1. zoran macrumors 68030

I delayed my MBPro purchase due to the led problems many users encountered. Now im back from holidays i kinda missed all the action in news n stuff so i dont know what has really happened on this subject!
    So... whats up with those new led screens the 15" MBPro is wearing? Are they fixed, is it safe to purchase a MBPro right now?

2. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

That's a good question. I would assume that since it's now a couple of months down the line that Apple has addressed the screen issues. I think there is a thread that is asking the same question. Check here for results.

3. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

seems like the issue calmed down a bit, so I think you're good. but you must keep in mind that only people with the LCD problem posts on the forums, there are countless others who have perfect screens that dont post anything. so really, the problem is not as major as some are led to believe. if you need a MBP soon, then just buy it. if you can hold out a bit, then wait for Leopard.

4. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

I have a new MBP with a LED screen and let me assure everyone that it is completely safe. It hasn't burned out my retinas and I still have all my fingers and toes. I'll let you know if I suffer any ill effects from this awesome computer.

5. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

my one week old had the yellow tint, my new one is perfect

6. Chris F macrumors regular

A quick look through the defect survey thread and I noticed a few trends:

- as far as I can tell LG screens past week 29 or so do not have the yellowing issue
    - all recently shipped 15" 2.4 models seem to use the LG screen

7. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

my first was a week 31 samsung that was bad my week 30 lg is super white

8. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

why wait for leopard? whats leopard have to do with this situation?

9. Cookiemonster macrumors regular

Cookiemonster

I think the point was that by the time leopard comes out-- the quality control problem of the yellow screen will have been fixed, plus you get leopard... :)

10. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Agreed, you'll get that little bit extra value for money by holding out the extra month and a bit to get Leopard with it.

11. Raska macrumors 6502

My first MBP which arrived 8/23 had the yellow tint issue (Samsung screen). My second MBP bought at a retail store 8/24 is perfect (LG screen).

12. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

13. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

What extra month? Is Leopard gonna be out on October?

14. macfanmac macrumors newbie

You are a lucky one;). Wish me luck. I'm from Hong Kong. My 8/24 week 33 MBP has yellow tint (Samsung screen). I'm waiting for exchange.

It is funny when I check the display MBP on different reseller and mac road show. They have different model # 9C56 (?) but also belongs samsung manufacturer (00000610) and seem not to have yellow tint issue. At first I think apple finally solved the problem. However, when I opened up the box at home, I saw it and 9C68:eek:. My heart sink:(.
    Besides, the 17" model seem not to have the problem.

15. Matrixmax macrumors newbie

My 8/28 week 32 samsung has that too:mad:
    i am going to do the exchange tomorrow.(they come to pick up this one first)
    dunno when will the next one arrives?:(

macfanmac, let me know how your case turns out as i am in hk also.

16. BrittQ macrumors regular

Yes...

17. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

But thats only a rumor right? I mean has Apple announced exactly when in October or might it be Nov, i think i remember something about 2007 fall, thats quite vague!

18. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

buy the MBP whenever you need to use it. no one is telling you to wait or whatnot, just giving you suggestions based on current news and developing aspects based on where Leopard is now on the final release stage.

if you need it now, then buy it. if not, then buy it whenever your hearts content.

19. matt l macrumors member

it deffo seems like the problem lies with the samsung screens now, has anyone got a 2.2 glossy which has been made by lg/? i have a feeling samsung are making most of the 2.2 glossy's and these are the ones that are yellow.

20. Magritte macrumors member

My Samsung matte screen is perfect in every way. (For the record.)

21. matt l macrumors member

thanks, whats the spec? i still think its a problem with the 2.2 glossy's

22. DeepShadows macrumors newbie

my samsung matte screen week 29 has the yellowing and I had a question, do you think if I waited to exchange it till october would my new macbook pro come with leopard on it? should I just wait to return till leopard comes out to return?

23. matt l macrumors member

if you return it after leopard comes out i see know reason whyr it wouldn't come with it, it would be a **** about for apple to put tiger on just becuase you had it on your old machine had it.

24. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Definitely October, http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/

25. Magritte macrumors member

Mine is matte.