Are Mac App Store apps self-contained?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by *LTD*, Jan 8, 2011.

1. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

Unless I'm missing something or I'm just out of it today, I've noticed that the same non-Mac App Store app that deposits preferences and resource files on my system doesn't do so when downloaded from the Mac App Store. It seems like a standalone app.

Am I right?

Thanks.

2. Isair macrumors member

Isair

You are correct. From the Mac App Store Review Guidelines:

2.15 Apps must be self-contained, single application installation bundles, and cannot install code or resources in shared locations.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Weird. I figured that preferences would still be stored in the Library folder. I just checked though, and there's no sign of any preferences for Angry Birds, at least. I wonder what happens if you delete it though? Do the preferences go with it?

EDIT: I don't see any sign of a plist inside of the app either. How are they storing the data if not in the Preferences folder?

EDIT: Look at ~/Library/Application Support. I have a "Rovio" folder that contains my high scores and settings. They've just changed the way it's handled, and that may not be universal for all App Store apps.

jW

4. Kenndac macrumors 6502

Kenndac

As per the guidelines, the only place you're allowed to store anything explicitly is:

~/Library/Application Support/<app-identifier>
    ~/Library/<app-identifier>
    ~/Library/Caches/<app-identifier>

Also if the app "manages libraries of photos, music, or movies", it can put stuff in:

~/Pictures/<app-identifier>
    ~/Music/<app-identifier>
    ~/Movies/<app-identifier>

...where <app-identifier> is either the application's identifier (like com.apple.Finder) or its name (like Finder).

However nearly every app ever uses the NSUserDefaults system for preferences, which puts its files in ~/Library/Preferences, so you'll likely find a file there, too. They're also allowed to interact with APIs like the Address Book, Calendar Store, etc etc, which implicitly modify your Address Book and Calendar files.

If the app wants to write anywhere else on the system, it has to ask the user first.

5. *LTD* thread starter macrumors G4

*LTD*

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

Thanks for the replies. Interesting.