Are "...mac.com" Apple IDs...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davehutch, Oct 12, 2011.

1. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

...automatically reserved for an equivalent "...me.com" address when iCloud launches?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, though for the time being your .mac email address should still function.

When apple unveiled MobileMe, they created you a .me email address

Edit:
    never mind, you're asking about apple ids and not email addresses.

3. gyorpb macrumors member

I doubt Apple are going to bother managing "identical" @me.com and @mac.com addresses being owned by different users, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Additionally, Apple have stated that one can continue to use both @me.com and @mac.com addresses, so there apparently are no current plans to abandon the mac.com domain, contrary to what has been suggested here and there.

4. jtfolden macrumors 6502

jtfolden

Okay, I have a problem related to this... I originally had a .mac account so I have an Apple ID that is ABC@mac.com and I also have an ABC@me.com address.

I can login to iCloud with either email address and access the same content. If I send an email from iCloud.com then it defaults to using the @mac.com address from what I can see and it works.

On my OS X 10.7.2 system, after setting up iCloud, I can send an email using the @me address but it gives me an error using the @mac one.

On my iPad, with iCloud configured, it gives me absolutely NO option to choose between the two and defaults to @mac, resulting in an address that can't send mail.

5. davehutch thread starter macrumors 6502a

davehutch

Not an e-mail address...an AppleID.
    I've never had a MobileMe account but wanted the @mac.com to become an @me.com e-mail address