Are macbooks just plain bad for internet useage?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by LondonGooner, Oct 19, 2009.

1. LondonGooner macrumors regular

I've been using various macbooks for well over 3 years, and really am sick of each OS update presenting a 50% chance of the wifi connection being ruined. I mean if you google macbook wifi problems, you will see people experiencing problems for almost every single consecutive OS update.
    I don't know if its a OS problem, or just shoddy hardware, but really it sucks especially how great macbooks are in general. I mean the main reason for me to have a laptop is the ability to be online anywhere, but I'll probably just get a iMac instead nextime around.

I'm glad Windows 7 is out soon and is a good OS from MS for once, because I will be able to have a backup OS for the almost inevitable wifi dropouts I might face in the future.

2. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

Never had the problem.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Me neither. Multiple machines running Tiger/Leopard/Snow Leopard, never had any issues with WiFi that were related to the hardware or OS, just the occasional flakey router.

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

5. daflake macrumors 6502a

I have never had a problem with surfing. In fact I've been good in place where a PC had problems getting a connection.

Yet to be proven. Back when Vista came out people were touting the same "this is the best OS yet" line only for it to fall flat on its face. I played with Beta and it was not bad but that doesn't mean that it won't have its issues.

Lastly, your WIFI dropouts may have nothing to do with the OS. It could be hardware or simply environmental.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

Never had any problems with wifi dropout. Two different Mac laptops and they are fine as long as they are in range. I did find the actual range of my home wi-fi by walking away and watching for the signal to drop, but that was what I was trying to do. When I'm in the house or yard, I have no problems with the wifi and never dropped it.

7. tooz macrumors 6502

8. eman macrumors 6502a

9. indy720 macrumors newbie

I can attest to this. My GFs MacBook is constantly dropping signal and jumping networks. She is running Leopard on a macBook she bought new in March. I feel like everytime I want to use it I have to open up network preferences and tweek it. I have 2 seperate locations set up for her (my place and hers) and it never seems to remember the networks to use. I have ruled out the environment because at my place the computer is in the same room as the wireless router.

From what I have watched it is like the computer scans for networks and jumps on the first available one until I tell it different. Then once it is on a network it is constantly scanning for more networks. It is not uncommon for it to jump networks without any prompt for the user.

TBH I have not ruled out user error. I have owned my iMac for 5 years now but have always had it hardwired so I'm not familar with the airport and setting it up.

10. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Irrelevant to a certain degree. My Macs are in the same room as the router, but it was a while before I established that Channel 1 was the most reliable.

11. indy720 macrumors newbie

How did you do that?

12. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

In my experiences wireless problems have ended up being the fault of the router. I've been through a few.

13. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Find an app to see what wifi hotspots are in use around you, and what channels they're using. Find a channel that few people, or no people, are using.

14. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Yep. 100% connectivity ok for me on SL.

And when I do experience drop-outs, those little red lights on the router (which are supposed to be green) are blinking like a christmas tree.

15. patrixl macrumors regular

Duh.. If you google for "wifi problems" you will find reports about.. wifi problems.

lol

My 3 year old 1st Gen macbook is still going strong, I love it!

Patrix.

16. brendu macrumors 68020

I was thinking the same thing recently. I have never had a wireless problem until i got a wireless N router (netgear) and immedeatly my uMBP randomly goes through points where the internet is super quick, then 2 mins later its unusably slow. No reason for it, the router is in the same room.. so i returned the router and picked up a linksys wireless N. Same issues, it drops the signal randomly, goes through quick and then slow speeds, its just bizarre. I really do think its a 10.6.1 issue in my case, and im just hoping 10.6.2 comes soon and fixes it...

is it possible that the wifi card they (apple) are using (although it is wireless N) just works more reliably with wireless G routers than with a wireless N?

17. xkRoWx macrumors regular

xkRoWx

A lot of routers on the market still branded as "Draft N". From what I've read, every manufacturer have a different "draft"..

18. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Never had an issue with either my G4 iBook or Unibody MacBook...

19. rustyruth macrumors newbie

I've never had a single problem with WiFi on my MacBook either on Leopard or Snow Leopard, my husband on the other hand uses and Acer Aspire 9300 running Vista, we can be sat in the same room, both on the internet and his loses connection all the time.

20. iigsie macrumors regular

Never had a wifi problem myself, except when I have not put something back together properly.

21. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

Agreed.

Just like if you google "windows 7 wifi problems " you get those too....

22. TheZA macrumors regular

I had never used wireless in my life until I received my new Apple-refurbished white Macbook delivered last Thursday. Using some directions I found on the internet, I turned on Airport on my iMac and configured it to act as a router. After a couple of glitches with the sharing/firewall configuration on the iMac, I have had no problem getting four-bar reception and internet access throughout our modest-sized house. My iMac is on Leopard and has an Airport card only current to ‘g’, not ‘n’ (the 2006 cheaper 17”). Earlier today I snuck off to the internet café to try out the Macbook there. Only three-bar reception, but no problems with internet access.