Are macbooks like these a scam?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by prodge, Jul 29, 2008.

1. prodge macrumors newbie

prodge

I recently decided to get myself a MacBook Pro, one from the new Penryn generation in particular.:) I spent quiet some time going between ebay and buying straight from apple, but a limited budget has convinced me to try the auctions. However, after reading a couple of threads about scams and people losing lots of money due to fine-print paypal policies I have become really cautious. Recently I came really close to bidding on what seemed a bargain, (ebay item number 200240673330) but then decided to stay on the safe side watched as it went for a relatively low price. The feedback seemed low but fine, and the description looked short but straight forward.Was it a legit product and seller? Should I go for it next time?

2. shdowman macrumors member

Based on his feedback, it seems like a legit seller. I honestly am weary about buying big ticket items on ebay. I did buy a $800 guitar once for $300 and all was perfect, but that was as high as I go.

Seems like a good deal though.

3. Realf8th01 macrumors newbie

Nah it doesnt look like a scam. The reason it's cheap is because its refurbished. Apple sells it at 2299 i believe just look at the refurb section

4. prodge thread starter macrumors newbie

prodge

I just checked and the same spec MBP is currently selling for $2649. That's why I am kicking myself for missing the opportunity to save $600. But as mentioned, I didn't feel safe with that seller. We'll see if I can get another opportunity.

5. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

Truth is that there are honest sellers of stuff on eBay. But it is an auction and, like life, there's always a risk in it. Just use your common sense; and check on the seller's credentials - that usually works. And listen to your inner voice.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

7. iOrlando macrumors 68000

2600 for a laptop is ridic. I wouldnt pay that much...i dont care if it can open cans and walk the dog. If i needed a computer that powerful i would just build it myself for dirt cheap.

8. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

You'd build a notebook with 1" width:confused:
    If you manage that call me in! We'll beat Apple and develop a multibillion company!:D
    You be Wozniak!:p

P.S.: just a joke. no offense!

9. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

Little off topic but given the choice I'd much rather have had the career that Woz has had, as opposed to Jobs. Woz was the main man behind the Apple and Apple II. His book "Woz" was a fantastic read and provided a real insight into the technological genius that is/was Woz ;)

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

store.apple.com

look for Refurbished Macs under Special Deals

11. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Yes agreed! I fully appreciate the fact that Woz was actually the father of it all and he created the first ever fixed point OS.
    But after 25 years I'd love to have the whole world swooning over my health and await my entry on a stage and stick to every Word that comes out of my mouth as if it was a pearl!:D

12. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

I think part of the reason being, he doesn't think you need that much power in a mobile setup.

For him. Professionals do (sometimes), but average consumers don't.

Hence, if you want something that powerful you build your own desktop and run XP/Linux or Hackintosh OSX on it to avoid the Apple premiums.

13. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

I was just joking:p.... anyway!

But still.... you cant beat portability my friend! I know my next point will create a lot of controversies here but still..... eg: Dell XPS 1730!