are Macbooks portable?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacMadeInHeaven, Feb 24, 2011.

1. MacMadeInHeaven macrumors member

I've read in various places that the white plastic Macbooks break and crack very very easily. I hardly ever take mine on the road as a result. Is it true? Do they really crack so easily? Would it be safe to carry it around in a laptop bag? Mine is the Macbook 4.1

2. altecXP macrumors 65816

Well since the point of a laptop is portability... I'll guess a Yes.

3. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

Yes they are portable, no they are not impervious to damage. I have 30 MacBooks in my classroom, and they get used by high school students everyday. Now that the laptops are about 4 years old, nearly every one of them has a crack here or there. I can't imagine any other brand being more or less resilient.
    We have newer carts of Dell laptops (not sure of the model) in our school and those are in worse shape than the Macs.

4. Changen macrumors member

Ive had my macbook unibody 2010 model for about a year now it goes everywhere with me and ive yet to have any cracks or breaks. I keep in a incase sleeve and it works fine just putting it in my backpack. The only thing I dont like is that it stains very easy and looks dirty.

5. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

If you take care of it, it won't crack. The MacBook is definitely portable. Stick it in a sleeve and put it in your bag and off you go.

6. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

I have a MacBook 2,1, adult owned and taken care of. I have had the palm crack 3 times already.

The truth is any portable is going to get beat up over time. When you live 1/2 your life out of a suitcase, all your stuff takes a beating.

Apple had been great replacing the top case each time, usually only has taken 1 hour (except the time they needed to overnight parts.)

7. MacMadeInHeaven thread starter macrumors member

The palm? What is that?

Also I am guessing that if it's an aluminium macbook pro it's not gonna crack??