Are MacMini's really that slow?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Foxglove9, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Not sure how accurate Geekbench is but I was thinking about selling my Macbook and getting Mac Mini. So I was looking as the GeekBench benchmarks and for some reason my Late 2006 MacBook benches the same as the current 2009 MacMini. Is this really possible my 3 year old laptop is just as fast as the current Mini? Or are those results not really accurate?

2. glap1922 macrumors regular

I haven't looked at the numbers, but that doesn't make any sense at all based on the hardware. I would say it is not accurate.

3. TSE macrumors 68030

Benchmarks are never a good way to accurately see how fast a computer or program is. It is good for a general answer, but you should never depend on them.

I think a Mac Mini would be overall faster than your 3 year old laptop unless your laptop is a 17" or bigger workstation laptop that gets less than an hour of battery life. Technology moves fast.

Overall the Mac Mini serves 90% of people's needs, unless you expect to do hardcore gaming, or professional video editing or processor heavy tasks, the Mac Mini can do it.

4. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Geekbench scores are mostly affected by the CPU speed. The current base Mini runs at 2.0ghz. Its likely your macbook runs at a similar speed. Thus, the scores will be the same, and their speed will most likely be similar. The only advantage the mini has is the upgraded 9400M graphics compared to the intel integrated.

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

It's worth looking at the ram on the machines tested, too.