Are Macs/iPods made in China?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by n459umb4786ers, Sep 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n459umb4786ers macrumors regular

Are they made in China or are they made in U.S.A but assembled in China?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. Pocket lint macrumors regular

China all the way.

Supposedly, though, they're "designed" in California. And by "design" one should read "shape drawn".

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I would say that there is quite a bit of designing that seems to take place in California.

5. Pocket lint macrumors regular

Well, not much. They're nowhere near Lenovo (whether or not you like their function-before-form) when it comes to in-house design or manufacturing.

6. n459umb4786ers thread starter macrumors regular

Just because my question is stupid doesn't mean I'm trolling. I was just asking because I thought Macs were designed in U.S.A but assembled in China. But my friend kept saying they are just made in China. So I just wanted to know who was right. I'm like half the age of you people here so you can expect me to ask stupid questions. And yeah I don't own any Macs or iPods. I'm in the progress of doing so...

Now thanks to you I'm going off topic!

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They are made in China… but isn't everything else?

8. Pocket lint macrumors regular

It's not off-topic. It's a perfectly fine and valid question. Just ignore the troll-comments :)

Indeed. What seems more important, though - at least to me, is whether something is an in-house design (even if it's done in China) or if it's some generic hardware put into whatever box the big brands choose to wrap around it (look at, say, mini stereos from Teac, Yamaha et al - same internal stuff, only the front is a tad different with a different name on it).

9. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Well I'm sure they did design it in Cali, but the parts are made and assembled in China...

10. n459umb4786ers thread starter macrumors regular

I wonder why?

11. Pocket lint macrumors regular

Profit margins. Apple is the king of those :cool:

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Labor is cheaper in China than many other places. Throw in a touch of lax labor and environmental laws and you have all the ingredients of larger profits. I had once heard it said, albeit from a Chinese official, that everything that is currently produced in the world could be made in China and they still would have workers left over. Lots to think about there.

13. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

China has billions and billions of people so that's one of the reasons a lot of stuff is made there including your shiny Mac or iPods.

Not to mentioned these greedy companies that want cheap labor and big margin profits as others have pointed out.

14. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Wallymart - China

Attached Files:

15. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

16. Pocket lint macrumors regular

That is one beautiful ship. Danish, btw. :D

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Wrong. Actually, Microsoft is king of profit margins

Before unprecedented profit drop in recent months at Microsoft which leads to firing of thousands of employees at MS,

Microsoft's profit before tax is 40% of Revenue
    While Apple's profit is half half of that at 20% of Revenue
    13 weeks ending 2008-09-27

Microsoft Financial
    http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:MSFT&fstype=ii

Apple Financial
    http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:AAPL&fstype=ii

Attached Files:

18. Pocket lint macrumors regular

I know Microsoft makes the XBOX, mice, keyboard, and so on, but are you really comparing Apple's revenue-margins which are based on hardware to Microsoft, whose revenue is bvased on software?

No, Apple has the highest margins of all computer vendors/manufacturers around.

19. Salmar macrumors regular

Yes just about everything is made in China including American flags which is a disgrace in itself. It's all about corporate greed and no other reason!:mad::mad:

20. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Apple sells hardware but provides great, easy to use software almost for free.

Microsoft uses its hardware "partners" so MS can get money for its software.

Without the Billions of dollars of losses MS had with its hardware (so it can sell its software), MS profit margin would be even higher.

You do know that more usability = more research = higher cost = higher product price?

Better support also costs more money.

Apple tops 2009 customer satisfaction
    http://www.macnn.com/articles/09/02/19/apple.tops.satisfication/

Apple leads HP, Dell in consumer satisfaction survey
    http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/06/25/apple.consumers.satisfied/

21. Pocket lint macrumors regular

So now you're comparing the game console market to laptops and desktops. What's next? An argument to the effect that Apple laptop designs are "sexier" than the xbox or what?

Or what about bringing in the profit margins of the "luxury" clothes industry? Take a look at the difference between what it cost to manufacture those things and what it sells for.

The thing is, Apple is a computer manufacturer who (successfully) sells hardware by way of software (and hype). They make their money on hardware, just like Dell, Lenovo, Acer, and so on. Asus, on the other hand, sell their own brand (Asus ...), as well as manufacturing computers for other companies such as Dell and Apple.

Being in Europe, I disagree that Apple has better support than MS+partners. Go research and/or buy a Thinkpad, and you'd know that the support is leagues better than what Apple has ever provided. Apple in Europe is even worse than the american counterpart.

I really don't give much credence to "consumer satisfaction", to be honest. Not when we're talking "lifestyle" product manufacturer's as Apple has become. If you read some of the threads around here, people will go to any length to defend Apple, and even find it perfectly fine to have to play with voltages in order to keep the computer from having core shutdowns.

In it's extreme, people go "I'm above 100 percent satisfied, even if I had to return 3 products, and the last product received has XX faulty, but I can live with that. It's better than sex" and other nonsense to the same effect.

I hate to break this to you, but Apple uses the exact same processors, ram, hard disk and whatnot that everyone else uses. There is not much more R&D going on than other companies do. In fact, even the iPhone, often heralded as "revolutionary" is nothing more than Apple's version of what is already out there. Of course it cost some money to develop such a thing, but when you have billions and billions in the bank in cash and gross billions each quarter, a little research aren't going to set you back one bit.

Lastly, I can't help but laugh at the notion that prices on such things as laptops and phones are derived as a factor of cost. It really is a ridiculous notion. Prices are set as high as the market can bear. Then you deduct the profit margins, and whatever is left is what you will build it for. That is how Apple operates, and the sole reason they ditched firewire, and when they reintroduced firewire, decided to spend 2 dollar (in that order) less than what the Texas Instrument's FW chipset cost (they went the Agere/Lucent chipset).

In any case, apologism really sits wrong with me. It's like wetting your pants in a blizzard.

22. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I agree, but I think its simply greed.
    Shopping at Walmart could be considered a form of greed.

23. sushiman macrumors member

If you aren't computer savvy or a geek around here I've noticed you often get treated with disdain or are completely ignored . There definitely is a " superiority complex " feeling that pervades the various forums here . I admit to being a computer dummy . I use one for mostly basic stuff . I have always owned a PC , but am seriously thinking of switching to an iMac for the usual reasons . If I do take the plunge , I fear that the many questions I'm sure I'll have as I get to know a Mac , etc...will go unnoticed because I don't know all the terminology .

24. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Technosnobbery is pervasive across most technical fields and in gatherings. Its sad but a natural reaction to the geek/nerd bashing that also happens so frequently in society. We are such a tribal animal it depresses me sometimes. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.