Are magsafe adapters compatible with all macbook pros?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hdsalinas, Jan 22, 2011.

1. hdsalinas macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

Hi My 4 year old macbook pro wont turn on anymore. It seems that the magsafe adapter died. Lately I had to wiggle the connector for the mbp to receive power. A few weeks ago it stopped working at all and after the battery drained I could no longer power up the mpb.

My mbp is a bit old (2.16Ghz c2d) and I am not sure which adapter to get. Tje local reseller has adapters but they are the new ones for the current macs, and I am not sure if they will work.

Which one should I get for this mac?

BTW, I am typing from my wife´s sony netbook :(

2. hdsalinas thread starter macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

are the ones for macbooks compatible with MBPs?

3. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Get an adapter which matches the original Wattage as your current adapter to ensure complete compatibility (If you use a lower powered one it can cause the computer only to charge the battery while asleep) - this can be found on the White Brick which is part of your Power Adapter. And the MacBook ones will work, but may only charge your MBP while it is in sleep mode.

4. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Any MBP adapter will work fine. The smaller MB adapters will run it but not charge unless it's off.

Cheers,

5. vnle macrumors 6502

In addition to this, if you get a higher powered one, it will auto adjust itself to match the voltage needed for your current mb :)

6. hdsalinas thread starter macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

One more question...

I am surprise to find that apple doesn't seem to sell the original "T" magsafe adapter that my MBP came with, only the new "L" type used in the macbook air.

Will these new ones work with the old non-unibody macbooks pros?

7. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Yes, they're just more annoying to use.

Cheers,

8. tjb1 macrumors 68000

The L-Type is used on all the new macbooks(air and pro), not just the Airs...

9. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

Yeah I agree, my magsafe for my 2009 mbp failed on me a few months ago. I had it replaced under warranty and they gave me the new L-Shape, the genius rep who arranged the exchanged was making out how lucky I was to get the new adapter... But in reality, I actually prefer the older T-shape.
    It's true these ones are more annoying to use. They are very rigid and there have even been a couple of times when I've connected but it doesn't start the charge, resulting to me to disconnect and reconnect again.

Although it has the quirks, I just hope it stands the test of time better than the one I replaced.

10. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I like the new adapter because it stays flush to the case, I dont have to leave 4-5" of room for the cord because it shoots straight out...

11. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I think the argument is these new ones don't fray like the old ones. I never had one fray so I don't know about that. Mine does the same as your in that sometimes it doesn't make good contact and isn't charging at all. Also it only is functional connected one way. The other way blocks the ethernet port.

It's a small thing in the scheme of thing but just another annoyance.

I'm sure your will last long enough for you to get upgrade fever and sell the Mac for a new one. :)

Cheers,

12. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Same here. Wire shoots straight back towards the wall...perfect.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No matter which model you have, buy the 85W MacBook Pro adapter. That particular model is auto sensing so it will work with the 13" MacBook [Pro] and MacBook Air notebooks as well. Considering the price is the same between all the power adapter models, it doesn't really make sense to purchase the other power adapters as they are mostly non-interchangeable.

14. hdsalinas thread starter macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

Thanks, but now about batteries...

Thanks, I will get one of these from amazon.

Now I also need a new battery as the current one only lasts about 10 minutes.
    The original apple branded battery sells for $119 in amazon! :eek: I see that there are many 3rd party ones that sell for much, much less, are these worth it or are they just a "bag of hurt"?

15. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Dont waste your time, just buy an Apple battery.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't trust any battery that didn't come from Apple. What are your current battery readings? (health, cycles)

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

17. hdsalinas thread starter macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

Well, I am not sure since my MBP´s battery is completely drained and I cant power it with the magsafe adapter since it is busted (apparently).

I am taking my MBP to a local reseller tonight to try it with the magsafe adapters on display and see if it does work and get a replacement.

I just got a new imac :D this weekend and I need to get some files from my MBP that were not backup to my external drive.

18. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

If all else fails you can always remove the drive, put it in an external enclosure and recover your data from there.

Cheers,

19. zendog macrumors newbie

power brick for MBP

Old style. Wire wore out at the mag safe connector. Is it possible to buy just the cord? I'd like to see if I can replace it myself. (glutton for punishment. did a 65 step procedure to replace DVD drive in power book 12 inch -- and it worked!)

As for the problem here, almost certainly an 85 watt adapter needed.

20. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Match amps - voltage should be relatively constant with a different current draw depending on the power requirement.

21. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

The 85W will run them all... the 60W will nurse along a Macbook Pro if it has a decent amount of battery power... if it (MBP) has a dead battery, anything less than the 85 wont help it. You can use the same logic down the line.