are magsafe power adapters off ebay safe?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kyzen, Oct 31, 2010.

1. kyzen macrumors regular

I'm getting tired of lugging a power cord from my office to the couch to my study to the coffee shop to a friends house, etc, and having to crawl under numerous desks and such to plug it in/unplug it around home/work. I would rather just buy 2 more power cords, so I at least don't have to deal with it at my stationary workspaces.

However, the cords are going to run well over $100 from Apple/Amazon/Best Buy, whereas eBay seems to have some for a paltry ~$15 each.

So - are the ebay ones safe? Or should they generally be avoided?

Thanks in advance :)

On a side note - can the new MBA's use the same power cord as the late 2009 MB's?

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I bought one, and like it. I don't think that they're Apple-endorsed, though.

3. kyzen thread starter macrumors regular

oh I can't imagine they would be, I just don't want to buy something that's going to fry my macbook as soon as i plug it in.

4. dcoux09 macrumors member

I bought one on eBay... make sure you do a few things.

1. Check the feedback score for similar items that you will be buying.
    2. Make sure their not shipping from China.
    3. Make sure the image of the power adapter has a concave apple logo.
    4. Make sure they accept returns.

I've had mine for about a year... no issues.

5. Kenrik macrumors 6502

I have one from ebay.. 100% knockoff cost $15 from china.

I have had it six months without an issue.

6. dcoux09 macrumors member

Side note: no, MBA's are 45 watts, MB's are 65 watts, with some pros (15/17) at 85 watts

7. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

He is intentionally buying a knockoff, so it will likely be from China due to copyrights.

8. kyzen thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everybody! I'll be ordering a few tomorrow :)

For those of you who have bought them - did they come with just the plugs on the bricks, or did they come with the swappable long cord as well?

9. SidBala macrumors 6502a

Contrary to what Steve Jobs would like you to believe, they are basically just wall warts in a nicer package.

The eBay ones should be fine.

10. unconvinced macrumors newbie

I just bought one of these aftermarket adapters, an 85 W one. It's about 20% bigger than the OEM 85 W adapter, doesn't include the extension cord, and is made of what feels like cheaper plastic. But the magsafe connector and cord are like the OEM parts and it seems to charge normally. As far as I'm concerned it's a great deal.

11. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Nah they come with that little plug just to plug straight to the wall. But if you have one of those extensions they will plug into the adapter just fine like OEM.

I did notice tho that the extension plug head was a tad bid smaller so when looking at the adapter it doesnt seal around the adapter perfect. As in it doesnt round of completely on the edge where it should be but still charges just fine.

You can also get those extension cords on ebay i believe for fairly cheap ~10$

12. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I have a couple too. Since I lost my original cord in a house move, I use the knockoff ones exclusively now. Works fine. Not quite as high quality workmanship.

One of mine, which might be genuine, has an ID tag on it from some other company. Presumably it's second hand even though it was sold to me as new. Not complaining.

There have been stories of them fraying and burning out. For the first few months I had mine, I only used them when I was around and never left them plugged in overnight.