Are mail apps safe to use on open wifi?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pjny, Feb 28, 2016.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I have a bunch of mail apps for ios and osx that connect to gmail and exchange accounts. I have airmail(ios/osx), cloudmagic, sparrow(os x for gmail) and I'm trying out spark. What info is vulnerable during and after secure connection? I have vpn on mac but not on ios.

http://www.techworm.net/2016/02/thi...ering-the-fbi-vs-apple-iphone-hack-story.html

Do these apps automatically create and maintain a secure connection?

What non-browser data does ios or osx encrypt in general when on open wifi? I usually have a bunch of apps I am worried about: omnifocus syncing to omniserver, fantastical, tweetbot (2.3.4 for osx and 4 for ios), photodesk (instagram app for os x)...

Just wondering what I should worry about.

Thanks.

2. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Depends what you're worried about.

Whether you're on open wifi or not, you want to make sure your mail client if you use one is set for secure connection. If you're using web mail you want to make sure to check the website's security certificate checks out. Blindly accepting invalid certificates means you will quite happily establish a "Secure" connection to an attacker's server in between you and the mail host...