Are Maintenance utilities Really Needed ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by siam, Sep 17, 2008.

1. siam macrumors regular

I am still a Mac learner so this may sound a dumb question .. Ive seen many Maintenance utilities for the Apple Mac, and just wondered if I should download one , so my question is - if my Mac is running OK , do you think it is necessary to use a maintenance utility ?

Thanks

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

In my experience no they are not needed. I just use my mac and in general it looks after itself.

3. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

No not really but you can always used disk utility if you feel the need.

4. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

While I'm not really sure it's needed, I use Macaroni ($10) for my maintenance program. It runs daily, weekly and monthly cron maintenance scripts (and has a delocalization feature too).

I use it because I turn my machine off and (unless I'm mistaken) if your machine is off when the cron is supposed to run, then it just doesn't run. Macaroni will run the appropriate cron at the next available time or schedule you specify. Oh and I also use it because from time to time I like to check in and see when the last maintenance scripts were run... with out mucking about in the terminal. :)

5. siam thread starter macrumors regular

Due to the power interuptions and lightning my computer has to be switched off every night , so does that mean
    that some thing that should be doing some sort of maintenance cannot do it ?