Are MBP 15"/17" specs able to handle image rendering, animation etc

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ravenshaw, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Ravenshaw macrumors newbie

I'm intending to get a MBP after witnessing the sleek interface it has and ease of usage the OS provides.

However, i'm curious as to if MBP are able to handle image rendering and animation on programs like lightwave,maya etc based on the specs it has. Windows laptop have a lure on me with their higher specifications that makes me want me to get them rather than a Mac.

Any graphics artists or anyone can provide me some advice based on your experience?

Another side question, I've been hearing that Apple computers and laptops are great for graphics work like Photoshop, but is there a reason behind it? As in is it due to way Mac OS is designed to handle them or is there another reason?

Thanks alot.

2. dieselpower44 macrumors newbie

hi, you might want to have a look at my recently opened thread here --> http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=894384

I currently have a MacBook Pro and find it is very slow to render since it contains a mobile graphics card. I'm considering an iMac now because I cannot afford the beast-that-is the Mac Pro.

I'm just trying to gather information to help me decide whether it's worth getting the iMac to render with instead.

Might help!
    Scott

3. sth macrumors 6502a

Wait a few days: http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/10/macbook-pro-updates-imminent-really-part-numbers-appear/

The new models will be on par with current PC offerings in terms of CPU power. Graphics cards will see some sort of update too.

But you should consider if you really need a notebook for your 3d work (no matter if it's PC or Mac).

I'd suggest a 27" Core i7 iMac with 8gb RAM for "heavy duty" apps like Maya etc.
    Or a Mac Pro if that's within your budget.

4. Ravenshaw thread starter macrumors newbie

5. avkills macrumors 6502

avkills

The GPU has no bearing on rendering speed if you're talking Lightwave on the Mac; and I suspect the same for Maya.

But I will say this; my previous gen laptop (since they just released new ones) is faster than my G5 tower at rendering and opengl. It is slow compared to a MacPro though.

If your main income generation is 3D animation, you would probably be better off going with a PC laptop unless you need software on the Mac that isn't available on the PC like Final Cut Studio.

-mark

-mark