Are mice covered by Apple Care?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by alexh123drum, Dec 6, 2009.

1. alexh123drum macrumors member

So I have new macbook pro with apple bought probably 3 months ago, and I also have an old apple mouse (its wired USB, but new enough to be a laser rather than ball)

The mouse is now faulty and I don't have the receipt as it was so long ago, do you think I could get a replacement with apple care?

Cheers

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

AppleCare would only cover it through the MacBook Pro's AppleCare if it were bought at the same time. So, I wouldn't hold my breath.

3. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

No. Mice have a 1 year warranty, or a 3 year warranty if they come with an iMac/are bought with another Mac that has Applecare.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I dunno iBookG4user, I read the warranty much differently than you did.

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

It sounded as though the OP wanted to try to piggyback on recently buying a MacBook Pro to get a replacement for a faulty older mouse rather than use the old mouse's (presumably) expired AppleCare. At least that's what I read it as.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

7. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

Take the mouse back to the Apple store and discover your options. If an exchange is not offered, purchase a new mouse.

8. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

If you bought your mouse and your mac separately then it won't be covered.

9. alexh123drum thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone for your responses. The mouse is older than one year, and wasn't purchased with applecare. Its from an old mac mini set up I had years ago. I just wondered if I could try and get a magic mouse for free!

Guess I'll have to fork out, cheers guys

10. MTI macrumors 65816

Apple Care coverage, they type you subsequently purchase, can cover computer peripherals, such as keyboards, mice, AES, Time Capsule . . . if the peripheral is still within warranty when the Apple Care additional coverage is purchase for an Apple computer.

Since the additional Apple Care coverage for the computer can only be bought before the expiration of the standard Apple warranty, the time overlap isn't very much for peripherals purchased before or after the new computer purchase.

11. kap09 macrumors 6502

The coverage isn't as limited as you described. I recently had my 802.11g airport fail (ufo style, circa 2004) fail and took it in to the genius bar. I was offered a replacement unit under the applecare I'd purchased on my June 09 MBP.