Are .mkv files when changed to mp4 STILL BlueRay compatible?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by SD-B, Dec 23, 2013.

1. SD-B macrumors 6502

SD-B

Have a few .mkv files that I have switched to .mp4 using Handbrake.
    IF i burn them to DVD are they still able to be played in a BlueRay DVD player?

These are not for me and I just use an Apple TV but for someone else so not sure how it works once converted?

Thanks

2. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Maybe maybe not. If re-encode the video stream there is a strong possibility the answer is no. Download "MediaInfo" and use that to see the specs of the H.264 stream, there should be something in the info panel that says "bluray_compat=0" if the value is 0 then it means no, if it is one then it means yes. Also other ways to figure out are by how many reference frames and B-frames are in the encode, Blu-ray doesn't like more than ~4 of these.

3. Unami macrumors 6502a

probably not. but one thing you could do in the future, is to use something like mp4 tools to make your mp4s. provided the .mkv is already encoded in h.264, it only "rewraps" the file from .mkv to a .mp4 container. same file, different file-extension - this should more or less retain your blu-ray compatibility. also it's way faster than a handbrake transcode, because it doesn't have to actually transcode.