Are Mobile Penryns already available???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gazfocus, Jan 19, 2008.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I've just read this article suggesting that the mobile Penryn CPU's were released on 12th January. Any thoughts?

2. lost eden macrumors 6502a

As far as I know they are available to system builders (for example Lenovo are already selling X-series ThinkPads with Penryn chips & have been for some time now) but they are not yet available to individuals to purchase retail/OEM separately.

3. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

So as I see it, all the rumours of Apple not releasing new MBP's because Penryns are delayed, is untrue then.

4. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

5. lost eden macrumors 6502a

Well all I know is that you can buy a ThinkPad X61s right now with a Penryn chip. Of course Intel may not have enough stock to supply all the system builders so only their biggest customers have already had deliveries or something, I don't know,

6. propropro macrumors regular

Me the same ;)
    I was even thinking about waiting for summer when Montevina goes out, but I can't really wait that long for a laptop :(

7. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I don't think the Montevina will offer many benefits unless it comes with even faster CPU's which it possibly will do. I will buy the MacBook Pro after the update to Penryn, and then I'll start saving my cash and I'll assess the situation when Montevina comes out.

8. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Can you link to a Thinkpad X61s because I just looked on Lenova's website and couldn't find one with a Penryn CPU. Thanks

9. lost eden macrumors 6502a

Ah, looks like I was misinformed; you can pre-order a penryn X61 but they won't ship till next month. Still, that's better than other system builders (including Apple) who aren't even taking pre-orders.