Are Monster HDMI cables better?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mtthwcmn1, Oct 14, 2011.

1. mtthwcmn1 macrumors member

mtthwcmn1

I was wondering which hdmi cable I should get and determine if the picture would make a difference.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Nope. They are no better than the ones from Monoprice.com.

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

4. cuestakid macrumors 68000

Never, ever buy anything from Monster-period. You should never spend more than AT MOST 15 or 20 for any HDMI cable. A $125 dollar cable will fail just as likely as a $10 cable.

5. samiwas macrumors 65816

I buy all of my cables from Monoprice.com (HDMI and Cat5 mostly). They are cheap as hell, and I've never had a problem with any of them. Any digital cable where they tell you that their cable improves sound or image quality is BS. A digital signal either works or it doesn't...there's no degradation. The cables in my theater room are 50' long from monoprice and everything is perfect.

Monster 4' HDMI from Best Buy = $60
    Monoprice 4' Premium HDMI = $5.67

6. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I also vote for monoprice.com. I bought FireWire cables for 8$ there while they were priced at 70$ at Staples. Gold plated USB cables, 1,50$ for 10 feet. You can't beat the prices, and the quality is top notch. Their iPhone charger works perfectly, and at about 3$, you can't beat the price.

Okay I'm being overenthusiastic about monoprice, but to answer your question, no, Monster cables are not better. Copper is copper.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No, don't believe the BS Monster and Best Buy and other stores will tell you to get you to buy a $200 HDMI cable. The $5 cables from Monoprice work wonderfully, I'm using several of them in my home theater set up.

HDMI is digital - it's all ones and zeros. The signal is either getting there or not, there's no in between. With analog signals (like component video) a case could be made that Monster cables are better (although nobody will be able to tell a difference, and again, Monoprice's component cables work beautifully, and if Monster cables really are better, it's not enough to justify the astronomical premium) but with a digital signal, there is no argument for one cable being better than the other.

8. cuestakid macrumors 68000

i just had a random thought-

how much will a monster Thunderbolt Cable be?

I say $400 for 10 ft-

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Just wanted to add that monoprice quality is great for their analog and digital cables, you are actually getting more than what you pay for when compared to average retail prices.

10. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

Since HDMI is a digital signal transmission standard, you can get by with cables from Monoprice.com and Blue Jeans Cable. However, do make sure you get HDMI 1.4a standard cables if you are using a Blu-ray player and flat-screen TV that can play back 3-D video.

11. mtthwcmn1 thread starter macrumors member

mtthwcmn1

Intell I appreciate all of your response posts. You have been very helpful. :)