Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are most Apple features unnecessary?

• Most are unnecessary..

Votes: 19 31.1%
  • No

Votes: 23 37.7%
  • Meh, depends..

Votes: 19 31.1%

• Total voters

FirstNeverFollows

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2017
Apple is admired by most users, that's for sure, people are more dedicated to the company than Steve Jobs was. Not only for its products but because of the consistency of being professional and maintaining that.

From many angles, regardless of having its professional-looking stores, professional staff members, the high-end products, spotless fast customer service. But how it looks on the outside and inside.

But, focusing on this thread, are most Apple products unnecessary for the average users? Apple loves releasing and teasing about its new upcoming products that seem to be most excellent, but after releases on releases, most of these new features become notably unnecessary.

Who really even thinks or even has the time of a free-bird, to record themselves doing Memoji and Animoji talking messages when all you really want to do is send a text, simply? Why complicate it? Have you ever tried using it? Remember the hype? It's the same routine with every Apple release.

This is my perspective, wanted to get on here, been some time, and think what most Apple dedicated users feel about their products. Are most features for the feel of the image of enjoyment, instead of truly connecting us together..

Question: Are most Apple features, except text, calling, emailing, and other few apps feature useless?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Apple is admired by most users, that's for sure, people are more dedicated to the company than Steve Jobs was. Not only for its products but because of the consistency of being professional and maintaining that.

From many angles, regardless of having its professional-looking stores, professional staff members, the high-end products, spotless fast customer service. But how it looks on the outside and inside.

But, focusing on this thread, are most Apple products unnecessary for the average users? Apple loves releasing and teasing about its new upcoming products that seem to be most excellent, but after releases on releases, most of these new features become notably unnecessary.

Who really even thinks or even has the time of a free-bird, to record themselves doing Memoji and Animoji talking messages when all you really want to do is send a text, simply? Why complicate it? Have you ever tried using it? Remember the hype? It's the same routine with every Apple release.

This is my perspective, wanted to get on here, been some time, and think what most Apple dedicated users feel about their products. Are most features for the feel of the image of enjoyment, instead of truly connecting us together..

Question: Are most Apple features, except text, calling, emailing, and other few apps feature useless?

I imagine Animoji might be more popular in the US where iMessage has more traction. I personally have never used it.

As for other Apple features, I guess it helps to elaborate?

Off the top of my head -

1) airdrop - use it all the time.
2) Touch ID - pretty much paid for itself
3) force touch - still enjoying it on my 8+. Has a very addictive feel to it. Like bursting bubble wrap.
4) dual camera - I have personally never gotten portrait mode to work, but maybe it’s just me. The 8+ still had an excellent camera.
5) Siri - use it multiple times a day
6) A series processor - I guess you can never have too much performance?

I don’t use every Apple feature in existence, but I think I use a fair number of them. Perhaps you can list those you think are superfluous and we can see how actively they are used?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

It will come down to every user personally to decide what they find useful and what not. We are indeed all different.

If you feel that certain features or functions are useless, maybe don’t use your iPhone for a month, get a cheap old fashioned phone or maybe journey to the Android world and see how green the grass is there.

Reactions: jagolden

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
If you’re going to talk about unnecessary features, please start with Android phone. Most of the useless features showing up on iPhones have been pulled from Android because people have demanded them "just because Android has it".

You ask if "most" Apple features are unnecessary but only mention one (yup, pretty much a gimic).
And, it’s a feature that in no way stops you from just sending a text message, you are not forced to use it.

Please flesh out the post to all the unnecessary features you feel Apple is including.

it’s been many years since a mobile phone has been simply a "phone". It’s well established that they are much more than communication devices, they truly are a mini computer you hold in you hand. Communication (in all its forms), entertainment, business and personal work, pretty much whatever you need.
Consider all it can do against a few unnecessary features that are not in you way.

I like to think about how powerful and how many convenient functions a small hand-held device (iPhone or Android) can accomplish against the original small, basic consumer calculators introduced In the early ‘70’s. And then think about the fact that the computers used on the Lunar Lander were barely as powerful as those consumer calculators.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
(I voted 'meh, depends')
I think most features are unnecessary to most people, but which features are useful will be different for lots of different people. So it's good that more features exist. The trick is having the options without making it so cluttered it's impossible to easily concentrate on the ones you want to use. I think Apple does a pretty good job of this, all things considered, even though there's always room for improvement.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Most and useless is a very broad stroke. I'm guessing Apple programs "features" into IOS because they see a demand/want for that feature. Not every software feature, will be of interest to the customers that have the hundreds of millions of devices. And furthermore although a feature might be available across hardware, maybe a feature is more useful on certain hardware.

Reactions: m0sher

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Most of the features are useful.

There are some that will appear as a gimmick to many, but people must still be using them otherwise they wouldn’t be updated each year.

As said, if you want pointless features head to the world of Android phones and compare.

Reactions: m0sher

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
So what if some features aren't of interest to someone. It's not like it's too much trouble NOT to use them.

iOS & the iPhone can be seen sort of like a big assortment of nuts & bolts of all sizes sold in bulk as a package deal - neatly organized in trays.

A person may not need a M10x1.25 bolt but it's not too much trouble to NOT choose it from a tray. And since software doesn't have any mass, (unlike bolts) they can keep piling on the features every year and it won't make a bit of difference (except for clutter).

Reactions: orbital~debris

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Most of the features are useful, but like you mentioned most people also do not use them.

Airdrop, Copy/Paste between Mac/iPhone, iCloud Drive, Apple Watch to unlock Mac. Those are just a few features that I think everyone would find useful, but not everyone uses them.

FirstNeverFollows

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2017
If you’re going to talk about unnecessary features, please start with Android phone. Most of the useless features showing up on iPhones have been pulled from Android because people have demanded them "just because Android has it".

You ask if "most" Apple features are unnecessary but only mention one (yup, pretty much a gimic).
And, it’s a feature that in no way stops you from just sending a text message, you are not forced to use it.

Please flesh out the post to all the unnecessary features you feel Apple is including.

it’s been many years since a mobile phone has been simply a "phone". It’s well established that they are much more than communication devices, they truly are a mini computer you hold in you hand. Communication (in all its forms), entertainment, business and personal work, pretty much whatever you need.
Consider all it can do against a few unnecessary features that are not in you way.

I like to think about how powerful and how many convenient functions a small hand-held device (iPhone or Android) can accomplish against the original small, basic consumer calculators introduced In the early ‘70’s. And then think about the fact that the computers used on the Lunar Lander were barely as powerful as those consumer calculators.

Without downgrading any of you Apple or Andriod lovers, the truth has to be said, without ease or with it.

If you're selling tremendous products and in the first place, what's all the need to copy off others? Isn't it all about being original? If Apple steals receipts from elsewhere, wouldn't you also go to their "originator" of all receipts then?

I highly doubt that Apple copies straight off Andriod, they release them with time, carefully thought through with a perfecting-timing scheme. It's all about the market's needs, fulfilling it. Both companies have the same plans; it's hard inventing something genuinely new, and purposeful these days. Apple and Samsung knows this themselves.

To right-out think that Apple is going to replace computers with their "smart iPads" isn't going to happen, despite the hype and excitement about it. Something in-between computers and iPads might come in-between, but will never-ever replace. It's a false theory that many people have fallen in love with. But if so is the case, why don't Apple remove all their Macbook pros/airs, to begin with? Haha, we'll see if they're "strong" enough to do that :)

It's right, Apple's devices are for anything, but people already have and will eventually fall out, not everyone thinks before-hand "let me take this Animoji" and send it, no. People want to send a message right away, not behave in a fanaticized zoo-world, that's definitely not how communication works for adults, but rather for kids.

Advanced phones or so-called "smartphones" were created for a way of communication; nowadays, it's heavily misused, to an extent, you could call them addicts. They have torn families apart, thus social distancing even at the dinner table! It has become way too destructive to keep the show running. The stop sign needs to become brighter! Like they did with the "Screen-time"!

And yes, still, most Apple features are unnecessary 80% of the time, except for the camera, social apps (for friends and family), YouTube (real-life tutorial e.g. changing brake disc) iMessage, Mail, and few financial apps. Other rest are completely useless 80% of the time.

There will be a time where Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, etc will run out of ideas and will have to face that their companies can't keep up with the imagination of "all satisficed", and the collapse of it all, won't shock all of us, but many of us. It could happen within a blink of an eye.. Deny if you like, but the truth underlies.

Last edited:

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Without downgrading any of you Apple or Andriod lovers, the truth has to be said, without ease or with it.

If you're selling tremendous products and in the first place, what's all the need to copy off others? Isn't it all about being original? If Apple steals receipts from elsewhere, wouldn't you also go to their "originator" of all receipts then?

I highly doubt that Apple copies straight off Andriod, they release them with time, carefully thought through with a perfecting-timing scheme. It's all about the market's needs, fulfilling it. Both companies have the same plans; it's hard inventing something genuinely new, and purposeful these days. Apple and Samsung knows this themselves.

To right-out think that Apple is going to replace computers with their "smart iPads" isn't going to happen, despite the hype and excitement about it. Something in-between computers and iPads might come in-between, but will never-ever replace. It's a false theory that many people have fallen in love with. But if so is the case, why don't Apple remove all their Macbook pros/airs, to begin with? Haha, we'll see if they're "strong" enough to do that :)

It's right, Apple's devices are for anything, but people already have and will eventually fall out, not everyone thinks before-hand "let me take this Animoji" and send it, no. People want to send a message right away, not behave in a fanaticized zoo-world, that's definitely not how communication works for adults, but rather for kids.

Advanced phones or so-called "smartphones" were created for a way of communication; nowadays, it's heavily misused, to an extent, you could call them addicts. They have torn families apart, thus social distancing even at the dinner table! It has become way too destructive to keep the show running. The stop sign needs to become brighter! Like they did with the "Screen-time"!

And yes, still, most Apple features are unnecessary 80% of the time, except for the camera, social apps (for friends and family), YouTube (real-life tutorial e.g. changing brake disc) iMessage, Mail, and few financial apps. Other rest are completely useless 80% of the time.

There will be a time where Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, etc will run out of ideas and will have to face that their companies can't keep up with the imagination of "all satisficed", and the collapse of it all, won't shock all of us, but many of us. It could happen within a blink of an eye.. Deny if you like, but the truth underlies.

Smart phones have become the most used computer devices these days. They sell to hundreds of millions of people.

We are all different. If you feel you don’t need such a device, get rid of it.
But now it seems that you have found some use as well as stated in your post.

Many people have differing use cases and requirements for their main computer which is the phone. These need to be catered for somewhere. If you don’t want to avail of certain features you can freely ignore them usually.

Reactions: Bethanie21

Bethanie21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2015
The term ‘useless’ is relative to each individual and how they use their iPhone. What one person deems useless another may think is vital: take Siri, for example. Absolutely useless to me, but others love it and use it lots. I don’t think it’s as black and white as ’this feature is useless and this one isn’t’.

Reactions: orbital~debris

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
It’s up to the individual and the parents to balance things in their lives. For instance rules that say No to cell phones at the dinner table. No to cell phone use after a certain hour. Same could be said about tv time. Too much of anything isn’t good imo.

As for Apple features being useless? I guess it depends on who you ask. I don’t use things like Memoji and such however some people love it. You can't really single out Apple on useless features when all cell phones come with some fluff. Just use what you want and ignore the rest.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I think it helps to divide the category "features" into "major features" and "minor features." It's a mistake to give each feature equal weight. There are far more minor features than major. Since minor features, by their nature, are intended for a subset of the user base, the number of minor features is very large. It's not at all difficult to make a long list of minor features that I personally do not use. However, I also know there are others that use them extensively.

An extreme example would be the Accessibility settings - it's an incredibly complex and rich feature set for those that need them, and within that feature set so many different needs are addressed that most Accessibility users utilize a small portion of those settings. A person who doesn't use Accessibility might classify it as a minor feature, but to those who do use it, quite major.

The Messages app - I don't think you'll see many arguments that text messaging is unnecessary. Within that app (and most apps) you find an array of features of varying utility - some people will stick to plain text to the bitter end, others like using emoji, sending photos, videos, and memes. It's not just a matter of being decorative or talkative... we tend to communicate in the way that we personally best absorb information.

As others have said, it's not a matter of whether all these major and minor features exist, but whether their existence interferes with our use of the tools we use.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom

People will always need and want a new mobile phone and they can push other companies to improve what they produce.

What you deem as unnecessary, others don’t. You cannot state things as fact for everyone when it is simply your opinion. Not fact.

If parents can’t control their kids usage of a device at the dinner table, then they’re not doing a good job of parenting.

Obviously you have some experience of this, which is why you brought it up... care to elaborate?

Also how old are you? As you sound very bitter towards Apple or technology in general with regards to smartphones, at a time when without them the world would be unbearable for millions! Also, why are you on this forum if you don’t like Apple products?

And I’ll ask, what phone do you have? And what other tech do you have and use on a daily basis? It’s a tech world we live in now... and that’s not going to change anytime soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ladybug

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
“Are most Apple features useless....”

OP, could you possibly be any more vague with your thread title? Of course not every user is going to equally use one feature just as much as everybody else does. I see the value in 3D Touch and Live Photos, but the next person may not appreciate that as much as I did or even use it at all. Apple didn’t make the iPhone universally for everybody to use every feature exactly the same, it’s optional if you want to use something like True tone or dark mode for example.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.