Are most users here running 64-bit or 32-bit?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Kendo, May 10, 2011.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

I could have sworn I read somewhere that Boot Camp doesn't officially support the 64-bit version of Windows. Two questions.

1) Should I opt for the 32-bit version as it is considered safer? What are you guys running?

2) Will I have problems installing the OEM version? What if I want to reformat my Windows partition and reinstall? I like to reformat Windows PC every 6 months or so to keep it running like new. Will I have problems with the activation?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

There's nothing safer about 32-bit, there are just machines that don't officially support it. You shouldn't have any issues with the OEM version either.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

It depends on your Mac but just about everything from 2007 onwards is better in 64bit. I'm assuming your talking Windows 7.

4. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

Correct. Does Windows 7 run on Boot Camp as if I were running it on a Dell PC Or are there some compatibility issues? I'm wondering if it runs perfectly (perfect meaning it will run just like it would on a Dell or a Sony PC) or if Boot Camp is more of an emulator?

I have the new 2011 iMac coming to me next week and the first thing I wanted to do was install Windows 7 so I can play some games and stretch out that 6970M. :D

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

It'll be just like a PC. 64-bit definitely on that machine. I've not heard of any driver issues yet.

6. SithTracy macrumors newbie

SithTracy

Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit (OEM disc from NewEgg.com) on my 2011 15" MBP. Zero issues. Best Windows laptop I have used. Sure, Sandy Bridge makes a difference, but the fact that you are not buying all the bloat that comes on the typical Windows laptop, makes it better too.

I do spend more time in OS X. New to it, but it's so Linux like, I prefer it over Windows 7. I use the Windows partition for work in Photodex Pro Show Producer and to use as a malware/virus scanner on computer service house calls.

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I dunno, I have an older MBP, and the Windows drivers for it are horrible. I'd get a Dell Latitude or Vostro (both business class machines) over a MBP if I needed to run Windows reliably and without any frustration.

(Plus I can get next-day on site warranty service and it's still less than a mac)

8. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

1.) Neither is "safer", as said before any recent Mac will run Windows just fine.

2.) If your not using the Windows install for Graphics/CPU intensive activities try Oracle VirtualBox (Free), VMware Fusion or Parallels Desktop. That way you get whichever Windows App's you need without having to restart into Boot Camp each time.

Also if you do it this way, you can get your Virtual Machine setup just the way you want, and then backup the Virtual Hard drive. And instead of re-installing every 6 months you can just delete the Virtual Hard drive and replace it with the Backup.

2b.) Microsoft really sorted out their activation problems with Windows 7. But if you do have trouble, call the activation phone number and go through the automated system.

When it asks how many PC's is this version of Windows is installed on make sure you choose 1. It should take less than 5 min and it will then read out your Activation Code.

9. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks guys. One last question.

Once Boot Camp installs Windows 7, should I be relying on OS X for the drivers? What if updated drivers are provided by AMD, can I install through their website by downloading the latest drivers?

10. Quad5Ny, May 11, 2011
    Last edited: May 11, 2011

Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Yes, you can use the latest AMD drivers from their website. Also sometimes Windows Update will offer updated Network or Sound drivers, you can install those too.

Edit: OS X does not interact with Windows at all once installed. They are both separate operating system's. So for example if you were to delete your OS X partition, Windows would still be able to Boot and function.