Are my chances really low on getting the iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by runtohell121, Mar 8, 2011.

1. runtohell121 macrumors 6502

Within a 25 mile radius, there's 2 Best Buy, 3 Wal-Mart, 3 Target, and 1 Apple Store. Combining the population of the few cities, maybe around 200k-300k max is my guess. What are the chances of all the stores selling out the iPad? I'm going for the White iPad 16gb with a Blue poly Smart Cover.

2. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

If you're going for 3G 16gb, you have a shot. 16 WiFi and 32 will prob sell out that day like they did at a lot of places on iPad 1 launch day.

I'd queue up early if possible but if you show up at 5, your chances will be slimmer.

3. runtohell121 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have school until 3... I hope there won't be much of a line at Best Buy, Target, or Wal-Mart but I'm not sure if they have the white one or not.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't think there will be huge lines, probably like the Verizon iPhone.

5. snberk103 macrumors 603

Or, heaven forbid, you could wait a couple of days and walk in and avoid the lines? :D

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Or just order online and wait a few days for delivery.

7. cmhsam macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

This is what is going to be different about this launch VS iPhone 4. Kids are in school and not on summer break. At 3 the lines will be much longer

8. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

The Verizon iPhone had no lines at all really. I would say this is gonna be a bigger line than the first iPad launch actually, or at least somewhere equal to that. Plus the 1st iPad launch had two launches (one for Wi-Fi and one for 3G), this time there is only one launch. Remember that there is no contract to sign here, and the price ($499) is in the perfect impulse buy range for a lot of people.

But to answer the OP's question, I doubt every store will sell out, but the 16GB models will definitely go first. I think one of those stores is bound to have some of them even 12-24 hours after launch. Some stores will sell out, but some stores won't. Something to remember though is that the Apple store always gets the most units in stock.

9. lilo777 macrumors 603

I suspect that iPad 2 will be available everywhere. It does not really offer anything new for people to get in line. Don't you have any computer right now? If you do, then what's the rush? Everything you can do on iPad, you can do on another conmputer. Or, do you just want "to have" an iPad 2 that bad? :)

10. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

People said the similar things about the 1st iPad and yet they still sold out in some places. Granted those were more populated areas, but still.

11. Amnak macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Actually this week is spring break for some colleges like mine

12. Amnak macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Actually this week is spring break for some colleges like mine

13. stev3n macrumors 6502

14. runtohell121 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was at the iPhone 4 launch for AT&T @Apple.. I went there at 6 in the morning.. and came out at 6 pm at night...

I'm worried about that for the iPad 2 at this moment.

15. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

:eek: I went to my AT&T store when they had walk ins and there were probably over 100 people in front of me. I got there at 5am, store opened at 8, I was home by 9am.

16. ExclamationKate macrumors newbie

Might want to revisit that link. ;)

17. SydneyJunkie macrumors regular

sigh, makes me ashamed to share the same land with people like this sometimes. will you pass out and die of a faint heart if you had to wait a few days? jesus christ

18. tomandshell macrumors regular

19. tbayrgs, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011

tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I'll disagree regarding longer lines---the initial launch was a much bigger deal, IMO and while there were 2 launches last year, the initial launch was at approx. 1200 stores while this year over 10,000 stores will have it. Also, excluding the typical early adopters (myself included), I'd guess a significant portion of those who bought the first iPad will not be upgrading. And speaking from personal experience, I walked in (no line) the evening of both initial launches to one of our local Apple Stores in Tampa and walked out with an iPad both times, no preordering. If I didn't have to hand over my original iPad to my Mom before she returns up North and wasn't leaving for a short trip this weekend, I'd just order online Friday but consequently, I'll be visiting the store again and don't plan on arriving before 4 pm.

New iPhone launches (and no, Verizon's version wasn't a new model launch) on the other hand, are a whole different kind of crazy. I pre-ordered the iPhone 4 and was lucky enough to have it delivered the day before it went on sale in stores. I went down to the same Apple store the morning of the launch to pick up a case and the line was a few hundred feet long and easily 3-5 people deep. Needless to say I had a few dirty looks as I walked right into the store.

20. Middiebear macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm hoping it'll be pretty easy picking up a white iPad 2 16GB AT&T 3G model the day of the launch...

I have to work from 3:30 PM till midnight on Friday so my only chance of picking one up would be going on my lunch break at around 7:30 PM and heading over to Wal-Mart or Target (Apple is too far away and I refuse to shop at Best Buy).

You can't really compare the iPhone launch with the iPad...

If the iPhone 4's base price launched at $499 and $629, I don't think the lines would have been nearly as long.

The iPad is not ridiculously expensive, but it's expensive enough to be something that enough people can't afford to just go out and buy.

If the iPad was launching at $199 then I think you'd probably have to line up now in order to get your hands on one...

I could be wrong but I guess we'll find out Friday.

21. PriceH macrumors member

Jesus man I'm new here but how many of these threads do we need? And people posting stupid "X-store will not have X-colored model"-type posts?! WTF?

We wouldn't need such stupid repeat threads if people would do a little research and quit posting dis-information or whatever THEY perceive as the truth. Rant: over.