Are my charging habits harmful?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sgrrsh26, Oct 17, 2011.

  1. sgrrsh26 macrumors 6502

    Jul 19, 2009
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

    So when I get to work I plug my phone into my desk. I have 2 desks and I'm constantly hopping between the 2 so I'm unplugging and plugging back in. I then bring my phone with me to breakfast, lunch, bathroom breaks, etc.

    Is all this plugging and unplugging bad? Should I just let it run down a bit?
  2. deeddawg macrumors 604

    Jun 14, 2010
    Is there a particular reason you keep plugging it in at each desk? It likely won't make a difference unless you never run it down a ways. Batteries are meant to be used some. :D

  3. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

    May 8, 2011
    Endwell, NY
    Always do a full cycle like the above poster mentioned when the phone is new. Your charging habits aren't the BEST, but I don't think they're BAD per se... cycle it to absolutely dead and do a full uninterrupted charge to 100% next chance you get. I found that doing this when the phone/iPad is brand new yields the best battery life over the life of the device.

    In the long run though, it might only make a small amount of difference. Batteries are good nowadays.
  4. sgrrsh26 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Jul 19, 2009
    I did a full cycle the first time which was definitely needed to calibrate because it sat at 1% for 20 min of heavy use. I'm just curious about leaving it plugged in all the time at Work.
  5. DeviantCodec macrumors newbie

    May 7, 2014
    For people that are finding this thread 2014 and beyond I want to make this clear for you guys. One you can let the phone drain to where it shuts off about once a month. Don't keep it plugged in all the time. Charge your phone to about 80-90% getting 100% is not bad but it doesn't help much more for battery health. Don't do power drains (turning it on after letting it sit for an hour to find the battery zero level). Li batteries have a safety switch in them that stop the battery from charging and "brick" the battery if it gets unstable. Getting down to zero can make it unstable. Let it drain to about 30% and charge it back up. That's what I was told be one of the guys that worked in a lab that studies battery life. Stop keeping it plugged in all day. Your battery is a battery. Use it! Let it die, and stop abusing it. That creates extra heat and that heat is not good for the battery. You loose more life that way. I hope I cleared this up for you guys. Thanks for reading.

Share This Page