Are my computer specs reduced if running windows via vmware?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by beepbeepjeep, Aug 30, 2008.

1. beepbeepjeep macrumors newbie

When trying to run a game on windows xp sp3 it says my computer, a mac book pro, does not meet the minimum requirements- it says I have a 16mb video card and I need a 64mb video card. I am pretty sure I have a much larger video card than that. The mac system profiler says I have a RadeonX1600 and it says vram total 256mb. Does vmware or windows reduce my computer specs? The whole reason I got vmware and windows was to play windows only games. Also how do I check the size of my video card in windows?

Any help is appreciated, Thanks

2. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Ok, to check your video card in windows, go to start menu, control panel, display, click the settings tab, advanced, then click 'Adapter' tab.

Typically VMWare doesn't use your systems full specifications because it still needs resources to run OSX. In some virtualisation apps, you can specify how much CPU, Ram, Graphics, etc you are using.

It may just be a case that your graphics card drivers aren't installed under windows.