Are my CPUs overheating?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JesterJJZ, Dec 5, 2014.

1. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I've been getting a lot of crashes and freezes recently, usually during heavy rendering and CPU intense applications.

istat pro show:

CPUA: 110 C
    CPUB: 96 C

2012MP - 2x2.4ghz, 64gb ram

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your CPU should be shutting down if it reaches 105C. While it's normal to be very hot during intensive workloads, it shouldn't be getting to 110C without shutting down.

3. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I would certainly let Apple check it out before it causes damage.

5. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

6. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

It just happen recently?

How about the fan? It should spin up like crazy with this temperature (The native fan control should keep the CPU below 85C when fully loaded).

7. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Do you think problem is the processor or something else?

8. aristobrat macrumors G5

9. Denis Ahrens macrumors newbie

10. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Well my MP is way louder than I remember it being. Used to be near silent. Now it sounds like a PC lol!

11. aristobrat macrumors G5

AFAIK, processors always generate a ton of heat, and it's the job of other systems (cooling fans, liquid cooling system, etc) to take the heat away.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's even worse! I'd have it checked to avoid permanent damage.

13. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

If its the usual stock massive application of Shin-etsu apple paste it goes off after 2-3 years. AS-5 or GC-Extreme with the usual tiny amount and it will run a lot cooler.

If it's a genuine 5,1 only a 3mm 3.5-4 inch inch allen key required along with the new paste, isopropyl and kitchen roll to remove the old crud off.

14. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

It was switch to F for some reason…weird.

So yeah… 44C and 36C

But I am still getting crashes. Randomly reboots and goes to the white screen.

I thought it was my GTX680 because I was getting a lot of strange artifacting when using CUDA but I just got that swapped out for a new one. Was fine for a couple days and now the crashes are back.

Bad RAM?

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you looked at crash reports? My first suspicion in troubleshooting is software, unless you know of a potential hardware problem.

16. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Lol - I should have thought about C/F, been a long day. KP logs you could paste them? Compressed air is good in all the ram slots and the PCIe slots also.

17. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

KP Log

----------

Yeah me too, I thought those temps were way high. I also went it with compressed air and went through my routine troubleshooting, trashing prefs, repairing permissions etc...

18. iizmoo macrumors 6502

19. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Done everything I would have with all that. Last entry looks like Nvidia web drivers to me - MVC is your point man for those kind of things especially with CUDA artefacts too when your grief started.

20. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Not fully. I've let it run a couple times but had to cancel since I had stuff to work on. With 64GB it takes a bit. I would leave it while I sleep, but it's one of those times where I only sleep when rendering stuff. Maybe when I finish my current project I'll have time to let Memtest run all the way.

21. Sharky II macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

looks like a graphics issue!

I get similar problems on a mbp with a faulty nvidia graphics card/logic board. random/sudden restarts...

22. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

More work on slot 1 maybe? As well as more canned air in slot 1 a fine monofilament carbon anti static brush rubbed in there to remove any small debris followed by a hand held vacuum like my Dyson after. High current and dust in between connections does scorch electrical contacts.

Try moving the 680 to slot 2 and see if it still bombs out.

If it works fine in slot 2 and after that work in slot 1 that could imply a bad connection in slot 1 which may be costly as you have already changed the card and ruled that out, though artefacts always screams a GPU issue as the prime suspect. Though not only Apple are not bad at thermal paste, many GPU are not pasted to a good standard either and the card might need re-doing.

23. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Video artifacting is gone with the new card. But I'm still getting freezes when using CUDA. System freeze, have to hard reboot with power button. I suppose I could try slot 2, but I'll have to reshuffle cards and lose one for a bit.