Are my emails lost forever?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ransomgraphics, Jun 26, 2012.

1. ransomgraphics macrumors newbie

I had my GoDaddy webmail set up locally with Apple Mail. Then my hard drive crashed. I was hoping to at least salvage some of my files sent through email as attachments. BUT...

• When I visit the sent mail area of godaddy webmail online, it only shows emails I've sent via the online platform.

• When I go to sent mail on my iphone, it only shows emails I sent via my iphone.

Are the ones I sent via Apple Mail on my computer gone forever? Could they be backed up anywhere in my GoDaddy account?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

If the drive has had a hardware failure (broken read/write heads, failure of controller card), getting the files off of it could be problematical and expensive.

If the drive has had only a "soft crash" (corrupted partition map or drive directory), the files are probably still there, and you have a reasonable chance of getting them back using file recovery software.

Probably best not to use the drive until you have the chance to run file recovery software on it.

File recovery software to consider:
    - DataRescue3
    - Stellar Phoenix Data Recovery
    - Disk Drill
    - Nice To Recover

How these work:
    - You download the file recovery app for free
    - You run the app on your drive (purpose is to see if it can "see" the drive in question)
    - For test purposes, you are allowed to recover -1- file
    - If that works, and if there looks to be a good probability you can recover more, you pay the registration, get a code and enter it, and the app "goes to work" on the drive (recovery can take hours and hours).

Note: you WILL need a SECOND hard drive to serve as a "scratch drive" to receive the recovered and reconstructed files.
    You'll probably lose file names and folder hierarchies, but you still get the files back, and that's what's important.

3. GDKen macrumors newbie

GDKen

@ransomgraphics

I'm with Go Daddy and came across your post.

Have you been able to resolve your email issue?

If not I would like to assist you in hopes we can reach a resolution, please feel
    free reply or direct message me.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Have you been using any backup method (such as Time Machine)?