Are my iPhone 4S viewing angles "normal?"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SPEEDwithJJ, Dec 17, 2011.

1. SPEEDwithJJ, Dec 17, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011

SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

As the title said, I'm wondering if my iPhone 4S viewing angles are typical of what is found in them. I just noticed that although the iPhone 4S has got an IPS screen just like my iPad 2, my iPad 2 doesn't exhibit different "views" when viewed on the left and right sides of the screen. In terms of viewing angles, the screen on my iPhone 4S look more like a TN panel to me instead of an IPS panel. Could an iPod Touch screen somehow made its way into my iPhone 4S during assembly? LOL!

Photos below show what I'm talking about:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Note that the above pictures were taken with the screen at max brightness.

I would like to read about what you guys think.

2. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

The picture on the far right shows way more color and stuff. Strange.

Edit- looking at my phone, it does the same.

My girlfriends is really bad. When viewing from right, it looks normal, when left, it gets dark and yellow.

and wow the middle picture compared to the far right makes the blacks look really bad. Like a light brown.

3. SPEEDwithJJ thread starter macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Yeah, looking from the left side of the phone, it moves towards a lighter brownish tone, while the right moves towards a more black & dark tone. From what I can see on my iPhone 4S, the viewing angle seems to be better on the left than the right.

I looked at my mutiltask bar & the left shows the bar as grey while the right shows the bar as black! :mad: I thought for IPS panels, even if the center shows a slight deviation in color to the left & the right, at least the left & the right should be consistent. Maybe I'm wrong.

I didn't really noticed this until I watched a movie on my iPhone & moved the angle quite a bit. That was when I noticed that the left side has a better viewing angle than the right. I compared it to my iPad 2 & although the colors are a little bit off on the iPad 2 when viewing from the left/right and center, at least the left and the right shows the same colors & viewing angles.

4. RobNor macrumors regular

My iPhone 4 was the same,the iPad 2 has better viewing angles

5. hizzaah macrumors 6502

I was gonna direct you over here from NBR, but I thought I'd check to see if you were already here lol..

Made me notice on mine that it's much brighter looking from the top/bottom extreme than it is from the sides.. I feel like the viewing angles on my iP4 might have been better. Guess I'll check later tonight

6. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

iPhone 4S viewing angles are garbage in comparison to the 4

7. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Has anyone noticed that if you look at your phone from way to the right that it smells different?:p

8. SPEEDwithJJ, Dec 17, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011

SPEEDwithJJ thread starter macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

I agreed with you, especially after I watched the following YouTube video that shows the awesome viewing angles of the iPhone 4 (not 4S). :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivUKpQjnlEc

9. SPEEDwithJJ thread starter macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

I've added a second set of photos to my first post.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I noticed that too, also if I look at it from the back I cant see the screen at all:D

11. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

All the 4S phones I have seen, even the iPhone 4, had this weird viewing angle issue. Exact same thing. My 4S has it. So does my 4. Viewed from the left, it's warmer/yellower. Viewed from the right its cooler/vibrant.

12. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

OK, I was going to make some snotty remark about who looks at their phone like that...but I would rather ask a serious question:

Why is the issue of extreme viewing angle important. I'm assuming that there is an issue here that I don't understand.

Again, the question is a serious one - I'm not being sarcastic.:)

13. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

It's not really a question of who would be looking at a screen like that but more of a question as to why a screen has such discrepancy at different viewing angles in it's color. My LCD monitors I have had over the years never had such extreme colors when viewed at different angles. Let alone, yellow from the left and blue from the right. It should be dimmer if anything on all sides from an angle and brighter, head on.

14. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Thanks, AbSoluTc, for the explanation. :)

15. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

If its yellow to the left and blue to the right, that means looking straight on its neutral.

16. matttye macrumors 601

All six pics look fine to me..how many times are you actually going to use your phone from the side?

Some people will pick holes in anything, geez...:rolleyes:

17. miragebg macrumors 6502a